verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Tour
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:01 pm 

Perhaps Jadams has quit his regular life and become a roadie for Ashcroft. And Ashcroft will not allow him to post any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 pm 

verve1995 wrote:
Perhaps Jadams has quit his regular life and become a roadie for Ashcroft. And Ashcroft will not allow him to post any longer.

I'm the next! :o :lol:

This is how they feel when hate it gets so real.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm 

I was actually nearly trampled by a damn fool drunk in boston last night, thanks for your concern. Writing on the bus back to New York...

Overall the shows were good, RPA was solid at both but the band was much tighter in Boston. The New York show had a bunch of overly long and noisy jams that the band couldn't really pull off, though Richard had a bunch of good improv moments especially in A Song For The Lovers (which included a bit of Good Loving) and New York. Boston was pretty much the same setlist, alas, but the band and sound at the venue were much better.

RPA played (not sure about the exact order in the middle)

Out of My Body
Sonnet
This Is How It Feels
Space and Time
A Song For The Lovers
They Don't Own Me
Science of Silence
New York
Break The Night With Colour
Music Is Power
Lucky Man

You On My Mind in My Sleep (solo)
The Drugs Don't Work
Hold On
BSS

In New York he played These People in the main set with the band instead of You on My Mind.

In New York a drunk next to me was convinced the bassist was Simon Jones and kept screaming SIMON! for the first half hour. In Boston a drunken buffoon was swaying and grabbing people and splashing beer everywhere, completely out of control.

Last night in Boston RPA and the band pulled off an excellent funk jam at the end of New York with some really good improvs from Richard. Overall they are not as strong players as the United Nations of Sound band, who sounded great at the show i saw in 2011, but had much better moments than RPA's old touring bands. Amusingly, he wore a United Nations of Sound tshirt last night though he didnt break out anything from that album.

In NY, which felt packed from where i was, RPA made a remark that all of his American fans must have been in that room and seemed to suggest that he might not play the US again. In Boston, which was less packed but had a decent crowd, after the first song he said f**k you to his record label for lack of promotion. He said he wanted people to hear the album not for the money but because he thinks it's a great record.

Overall, it's not 1997 or 2008 anymore, but I'm glad he's still recording and touring. Obviously it would be better with Verve but I had a good time, particularly in Boston, and raided the merch booth. I bought a RA beanie i'm unlikely to ever wear and some cool guitar picks and badges. Hopefully he'll come back!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 pm 

jadams503 wrote:
I was actually nearly trampled by a damn fool drunk in boston last night, thanks for your concern. Writing on the bus back to New York...

Overall the shows were good, RPA was solid at both but the band was much tighter in Boston. The New York show had a bunch of overly long and noisy jams that the band couldn't really pull off, though Richard had a bunch of good improv moments especially in A Song For The Lovers (which included a bit of Good Loving) and New York. Boston was pretty much the same setlist, alas, but the band and sound at the venue were much better.

Out of My Body
Sonnet
This Is How It Feels
Space and Time
A Song For The Lovers
They Don't Own Me
Science of Silence
New York
Music Is Power
Lucky Man

The Drugs Don't Work
Hold On
BSS

In New York he played These People in the main set with the band instead of You on My Mind.

In New York a drunk next to me was convinced the bassist was Simon Jones and kept screaming SIMON! for the first half hour. In Boston a drunken buffoon was swaying and grabbing people and splashing beer everywhere, completely out of control.

Last night in Boston RPA and the band pulled off an excellent funk jam at the end of New York with some really good improvs from Richard. Overall they are not as strong players as the United Nations of Sound band, who sounded great at the show i saw in 2011, but had much better moments than RPA's old touring bands. Amusingly, he wore a United Nations of Sound tshirt last night though he didnt break out anything from that album.

In NY, which felt packed from where i was, RPA made a remark that all of his American fans must have been in that room and seemed to suggest that he might not play the US again. In Boston, which was less packed but had a decent crowd, after the first song he said f**k you to his record label for lack of promotion. He said he wanted people to hear the album not for the money but because he thinks it's a great record.

Overall, it's not 1997 or 2008 anymore, but I'm glad he's still recording and touring. Obviously it would be better with Verve but I had a good time, particularly in Boston, and raided the merch booth. I bought a RA beanie i'm unlikely to ever wear and some cool guitar picks and badges. Hopefully he'll come back!

How can that be possible?

Steve Wyreman was the lead guitar player in 2011 and he's also working as the lead guitar player in this USA tour.

UNOS band:

Lead Guitar player: Steve Wyreman

Bass player: Dwayne "DW" Wright

Drummer: Qyu Jackson

These People band:

Lead guitar player: Steve Wyreman

Rhythm guitarist: Adam Phillips

Bass player: Damon Minchella

Drummer: Steve Sidelnyk

___

IMO, he has better musicians now than with UNOS.

Last edited by Thethirdreunion on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 pm 

that'd be rhythm guitarist, not second lead.
it could be that the band simply doesn't gel or play off each other well, regardless of if they are better musicians. I rate damon as a pretty great bass player since his OCS days, but it's possible he doesn't form a good rhythm section with Steve. I don't know, as I've not seen them live & wasn't impressed with the work on the album itself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm 

jadams503 wrote:

Out of My Body
Sonnet
This Is How It Feels
Space and Time
A Song For The Lovers
They Don't Own Me
Science of Silence
New York
Music Is Power
Lucky Man

The Drugs Don't Work
Hold On
BSS

Nice write up, Jadams. Glad you return unscathed.
From the images I've seen, the upper levels in NYC were scant. I'd say it was half capacity, at best.
I must ask ... did you Groupon Boston?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:37 pm 

jadams503 wrote:

IMO that's one of his best solo songs and i've never heard him sing it live (must have been to a dozen solo gigs since AWE came out)

how did it sound?

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 pm 

What happened to Ashcroft on Fallon? It's not listed on http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:10 pm 

Thanks for the write-up, jadams! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

jadams503 wrote:
Amusingly, he wore a United Nations of Sound tshirt last night though he didnt break out anything from that album.

Fucking gold.

Joe Col wrote:
Where the hell is Jadams?!? Was he literally bored to death by the gig?

I died :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 pm 

verveitup wrote:
What happened to Ashcroft on Fallon? It's not listed on http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

It was on my DVR listing when I programmed. I guess we'll see if it was canceled...

I paid full price for the tickets and was happy to, I have gotten so much more than list price out of These People and all his stuff that I'm happy to throw some money at him and pay cash for extra merch.

You On My Mind was really really good, I was sorry he didn't do more acoustic stuff. I would have preferred to hear a few more songs rather than some of the extended jams.

As for the band, I've always found Steve Wyreman a little too flashy, but he acquitted himself well enough. Minchella was singing along and obviously thrilled to be there, the drummer was fine. In Boston they were pretty tight and pulled off a really great funk outro on New York reminiscent of the jam from Hammerstein Ballroom '98, much better than the sloppy overlong noisiness of the New York show (which might partially have been bad acoustics at Terminal 5), but the UNOS band in 2011 was not only tight but had a lot of chemistry together and pushed RPA to nearly his best. They weren't Verve but otherwise the best players I've heard him work with. The problem with UNOS was that RPA didn't bring a strong enough set of songs and awkwardly overcompensated, not the other musicians involved.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:17 am 

Review of the New York show: http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/newyork ... nal-5-327/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:07 pm 

That wasn't much of a review. He got a lot of pics though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:19 pm 

Maybe that article author should interview verve fans who are bitter at ashcroft for the music we were cheated out of the last 15 years had the band been together. I'd rather watch McCabe standing next to ashcroft than Steve Wyreman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 pm 

New concert announced. This time in Russia.

"First headliner of @ahmadteamusicfestival announced: the legend that is #RichardAshcroft @richardashcroftofficial! See you in #moscow #underlove"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSQpotID7Ql ... roft&hl=es

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 pm 
seanie boy

Thethirdreunion wrote:

"First headliner of @ahmadteamusicfestival announced: the legend that is #RichardAshcroft @richardashcroftofficial! See you in #moscow #underlove"

Do they have Groupon in Russia?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:15 am 

sean wrote:
Thethirdreunion wrote:

Do they have Groupon in Russia?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 am 

sean, that was a good one....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:58 pm 

So bummed, been looking forward to Friday for months and was going to be a good night as tomorrow I'm going to a celebration of life for a friend that just passed away, so taking in Mr. Ashcroft's gig would really have helped.

Toronto and San Fran cancelled, full refunds so not currently rescheduled.

I could just about cry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 pm 

dobyblue wrote:
So bummed, been looking forward to Friday for months and was going to be a good night as tomorrow I'm going to a celebration of life for a friend that just passed away, so taking in Mr. Ashcroft's gig would really have helped.

I could just about cry.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. :|

BTW, an user from the FF posted this:

Quote:
Hi All

Just got a text from Ticketmaster saying that the Toronto show was cancelled due to illness and they were refunding the tickets!

We saw him in NYC last week and it was an incredible show and this is quite disappointing as the Toronto show was sold out and may have been his biggest and most enthusiastic show of the North American Tour.

Anyone know anything further?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 pm 

dobyblue wrote:

I could just about cry.

This has just been posted in his official Twitter acount:

Richard Ashcroft‏Cuenta verificada @richardashcroft 22 minHace 22 minutos
Más
Unfortunately @richardashcroft cancelled the shows at San Francisco tonight and Toronto in April 7 due to illness & under the advice of Docs
Traducir del inglés

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:29 am 

Same ol ******** excuse again not enough people to show up to see the Legendary British Songwriter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:09 pm 

I love to **** on the guy but his Toronto show actually sold out. At least now people can rue the great show that never was instead of experiencing the **** show that was to be.

Last edited by Tresilaze on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:53 pm 

[quote="Alex"]Same ol ******** excuse again not enough people to show up to see the Legendary British Songwriter.

Toronto show was sold out. But keep on trolling like a child.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:01 pm 

Toronto may have been sold out, but the the tour as a whole has not sold well. And I assume that Tonight Show gig never came through? I've not seen it if it has.
He had tickets for many dates on Groupon, Living Social & other deal sites for $20. One of the California gigs was downsized to a smaller venue. You don't do that if it's selling well. My guess is that even with the Toronto sell out, he couldn't keep it afloat until then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:07 pm 

Joe Col wrote:
Toronto may have been sold out, but the the tour as a whole has not sold well. And I assume that Tonight Show gig never came through? I've not seen it if it has.
He had tickets for many dates on Groupon, Living Social & other deal sites for $20. One of the California gigs was downsized to a smaller venue. You don't do that if it's selling well. My guess is that even with the Toronto sell out, he couldn't keep it afloat until then.

He looked very sad and dissapointed in his last concert. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next