verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: FORTH - THEVERVEUNOFFICIAL.COM REVIEW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 pm 

You stated "the way the artist envisioned" though - I was just pointining out that it wasn't the case.

Love Is Noise was a great comeback single - modern sounding without being naff, and catchy as ****. The likes of Blur and Suede haven't come near with their comeback efforts. It doesn't sound of out place on the album to me and I love the production of the album personally. It's easy to criticise the album, but pretty much the only reason it didn't perform commercially as it should was because the band was dead by the time it came out and didn't tour it. McCabe and Jones fucked up to the point Ashcroft wouldn't talk to them - simples. Publicly bleating on about Ashcroft blanking their calls without saying what led to that says it all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:56 pm 
seanie boy

graceadelica wrote:
. McCabe and Jones fucked up to the point Ashcroft wouldn't talk to them - simples. Publicly bleating on about Ashcroft blanking their calls without saying what led to that says it all.

You seem to be remarkably well informed. Are you in the 'inner circle'?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:45 am 

[quote="graceadelica"]You stated "the way the artist envisioned" though - I was just pointining out that it wasn't the case.

Love Is Noise was a great comeback single - modern sounding without being naff, and catchy as ****. The likes of Blur and Suede haven't come near with their comeback efforts. It doesn't sound of out place on the album to me and I love the production of the album personally. It's easy to criticise the album, but pretty much the only reason it didn't perform commercially as it should was because the band was dead by the time it came out and didn't tour it. McCabe and Jones fucked up to the point Ashcroft wouldn't talk to them - simples. Publicly bleating on about Ashcroft blanking their calls without saying what led to that says it all.

Completely agree!

This is how they feel when hate it gets so real.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 pm 

graceadelica wrote:
McCabe and Jones fucked up to the point Ashcroft wouldn't talk to them - simples.

Like what...they ordered pizza one night and didn't tell him so he had to go out to a fish and chippy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:37 pm 

Odd that the band didn't really promote the album but the recorded b-sides for Rather Be in the fall. When did the band die? 2009? A slow death summer 08-winter 09?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 am 

Tresilaze wrote:
Odd that the band didn't really promote the album but the recorded b-sides for Rather Be in the fall. When did the band die? 2009? A slow death summer 08-winter 09?

It's not clear whether all four members were ever together again after the last gigs in August 2008. As late as September, Simon Jones was still saying the band wouldn't split again, and it's possible they recorded the Rather Be b-sides then, but there are also claims that Richard cut all interaction with the others once the touring was over at the end of August.

All band activity was definitely over by the start of 2009.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 am 

Don't want to dredge it all up again, but what was the reason for the split exactly? It obviously came from Richard, was he not getting on with the others as well as he had hoped?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:54 pm 

[quote="count_bearula"]Don't want to dredge it all up again, but what was the reason for the split exactly? It obviously came from Richard, was he not getting on with the others as well as he had hoped?

From what I recall, he simply cut off all contact with the others after the album's release.
I believe there was talk of touring to promote the album, but he had demands that he wanted met regarding the drinking and such on tour. These were agreed to by the others, but he still refused to tour & stopped returning texts & calls & did the Rather Be video on his own (a huge ******** move, in my opinion). But, it was doomed when he stopped turning up for rehearsals during the initial reunion tour.
I'm thinking the B-Sides to Rather Be were recorded during the initial album sessions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:31 pm 

Weird. And to think it was all his idea to get back together again! I like to think it was for the joy of playing together and not the cold hard cash.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:41 pm 

My (not exactly ground breaking) theory: Richard wanted to play BIG shows. His solo arena tour at the back end of 2006 was far from a sell out. So, lo and behold! Verve reformed less than a year later. Sell out arena gigs, festival headliners, number one album.

With that need satisfied, Richard remembered that he can't actually be arsed being in a band. His music career is something he picks up and puts down in between a life of leisure. So he fucked it off. Probably thought Nick was a tosser again at this point, so just decided to ditch his phone and throw himself into a new project (or at least publicise it as such).

As for his thought process during the UNOS era, I'm at a loss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 pm 

I think Richard had an identity crisis during UNOS. I think he was disillusioned with the Verve falling out and his own lingering insecurities regarding his own solo career, who he was and what to become that manifested in disastrous fashion with UNOS.

He then had to deal with the backlash of that project both critically and with the lack of concert attendance (wasn't the end of it at some gig in Australia?). He decided to **** off after he got pneumonia or whatever it was and hanged it up for years. I definitely think he took a hiatus from music for a long time and just stuck to raising his children, tending to his farm and **** like that. Keep a total low profile.

I'm sure Richard was at a total low point in his life after getting mauled from UNOS, no matter how arrogant he comes off in interviews (which I think is more him understanding how media hype works) it probably bruised his ego a ton. That's why when he's doing interviews for These People he brings up these insecurities if he's worth putting anything out and his wife encouraged him to get back out there.

I think Richard is a very fragile human and very sensitive to criticism. Since Nick was a lot more outspoken during the reunion it's possible Richard felt threstened by the power dynamic within the band. Nick wanted to do one thing and Richard his and boom they clashed heads again and it reached a boiling point when supposedly there were attacks to families involved.

Those guys just have an ugly history together and honestly in hindsight I don't blame Richard for keeping his distance and not to reignite sparks. But his own self isolation fostered the demise of the band once again. How can you function as unit if one of your guys isn't involved at all.

So besides the bitterness I also think Richard may have been a bit jealous on sharing the spotlight and it might reveal the true genius of the band was always Nick. Richard might be something of a narcissist and is always so keen on taking credit. Just watch that Noise interview how he says UH is his first solo album, he wrote all the music etc. He doesn't want to give proper credit where it's due I feel. And slagging Nick off just furthers the argument of how insecure he is.

Bottom line is Richard ain't really the same guy before the fame and the band have such a shitty history together and always imploding. They can never be a Coldplay. Although still looking back I could see Richard having these cuntish tendencies which ramped up after he got all the accolades for his songs on UH.

Last edited by Alex on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:00 pm 

Even all that said, I think Richard genuinely wanted to reform the band not under any self interested motive. If that first NME interview is any suggestion they were getting along perfectly and **** went sour thereafter.

What reason did Richard really have to reform anyway, it's not like his solo career was in a lull. KTTW still went gold in the UK and wasn't BTKWC in the top 5 charts? I just don't see any reason to reform the band that would greatly benefit his solo career. I can't think Richard would be that malicious to reform under false pretentions. Guy must be an incredible Machiavellian if that's true.

As far as his demands against drinking and what not, hey why not control elements that could trigger a falling out? But it was still dysfunctional due to their history, Nick and Richards depression, neuroses, insecurities, different goals, outside influences, all these other problems. It's a miracle they even got an album out or did a few shows let alone getting back together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:19 pm 

Alex wrote:

As far as his demands against drinking and what not, hey why not control elements that could trigger a falling out?

I agree.
But, it's my understanding that this was agreed to (at the time Nick mentioned a "virgin margherita" and has been tea total since then) and he still went silent with them. Which leads me to believe it was a demand he thought wouldn't be met, but when it was, he took his ball & went home anyway.
I think at that point, Nick, Si & Pete were willing to do whatever it took to keep the band together & Richard was looking for an out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 pm 

Joe Col wrote:
I'm thinking the B-Sides to Rather Be were recorded during the initial album sessions.

From wiki:The band recorded both B-sides for the single in late September 2008, a month after the album's release.

No citation though. I wonder where that came from, and I find the date strange given what we know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:39 am 

Alex wrote:
KTTW still went gold in the UK and wasn't BTKWC in the top 5 charts?

“The album was certified Platinum by the British Phonographic Industry, selling more than 300.000 copies.“

"The song was also released as the first single from that album on 9 January 2006, peaking at #3 in the UK Singles Chart."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09 pm 

SimonR wrote:
spencer wrote:
Si, do you know if they recorded any other tunes during the album sessions that we havent yet heard?

Oh hell yeah..there was over 50 hours worth of stuff!! I've heard bits and pieces but unless any of it gets, ahem, leaked I very much doubt it will ever see the light of day.

:shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 pm 

Thethirdreunion wrote:
SimonR wrote:
spencer wrote:
Si, do you know if they recorded any other tunes during the album sessions that we havent yet heard?

Oh hell yeah..there was over 50 hours worth of stuff!! I've heard bits and pieces but unless any of it gets, ahem, leaked I very much doubt it will ever see the light of day.

:shock:

I doubt there was that much, especially considering they recorded songs as old as Mover and Muhammed Ali.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:39 am 

choonin_in wrote:
I doubt there was that much, especially considering they recorded songs as old as Mover and Muhammed Ali.

I think they may have had many hours of jams and such, but I doubt that there are many completed songs out of all of that. Probably a handful or so that we will have to wait for the Forth expanded edition to hear. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6