verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: FORTH - THEVERVEUNOFFICIAL.COM REVIEW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:40 am 

The Verve – Forth
Reviewed by Simon Rickards

Back last year came the news that I could only ever have dreamed of. Dreams, sometimes, come true. But all it had ever been was a dream, for The Verve getting back together was, apparently, as “likely as getting all four Beatles on stage”. However, here it was, The Verve was back together and what was more they were recording new material. I pinched myself, was this another dream?
Fast forward twelve months and we are on the verge of hearing the first new Verve material in 10 years. Barren years, with nothing much spectacular to write about. And here I am, with the new album coming through my speakers, ready to give my voice to the appreciation of the genius of a band who I have loved since first hearing them some 12 years previous.
Forth is an album that, rather than picking up where Urban Hymns left, moves The Verve forward to another level. The creative element, the experimentation with new sounds, the heart wrenching ballads and the ‘loud in the car, windows down, driving like a lunatic’ songs show the full range of the talent of 4 men who have musical genius pumping through every vein in their bodies. Richard Ashcroft’s enchanting vocals with amazing range and beautiful falsetto, Simon Jones’ funk driven, thumping bass lines, Pete Salisbury’s ceaseless ability to amaze with versatility of drum patterns, and, most notably, Nick McCabe’s haunting, complex, mesmeric, gigantic and subtle guitar riffs show that he is truly one of the greatest guitarists of this era. All elements blend perfectly to leave an album that will be critically acclaimed and loved by both the hardened Verve fan, those who found them in the Urban Hymns era and new fans alike. The album is self produced and presents a raw, untouched feel to a great many of the tracks.

Sit And Wonder
A song that is already familiar to a great many that have seen The Verve play since reforming, the live track has left many drooling and excited at the prospect of what to look forward to. And, whilst the live performances have been spellbinding, ‘Sit And Wonder’ from the studio only enhances and excites further. A thumping bass line and glorious drumming drive a truly awesome track to heights that even the most sceptical will have trouble not liking. The guitar work from Nick is psychedelic and makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand to attention. Four minutes into the track is a truly perfect break which shows each musician’s talent off to its full. Richard switches between powerful vocals to subtle falsetto that renders the track to the point of anthemic. Whilst the live performances have delivered a darker, heavier song the album version cannot fail to please.

Love Is Noise
This is to be the first single from the album and is easily the most commercially pleasing of all tracks. Remixes have already been done and will be featured on various versions of the single release. It’s hard not to see why the remixes have been done. It has a strong, mantra-like, vocal loop throughout that will stick in the mind of any that hear it. Again the versatility of the lads shines through and synth tracks enhance the brilliance further. The easiest thing to say about this track is that it will be a crowd pleaser...but life is never black and white, this song has deeper elements that when listened to sees The Verve for what they are – the greatest band of its era.

Rather Be
Rather Be is very much a classic Verve tune of ’97 with fantastic layered backing vocals and powerful choruses yet, again, contains so many elements from the guys that just set them apart from anything else around. It is built around a piano-based loop, with subtle string parts and Nick’s souring guitar riffs. My honest opinion, the Urban Hymns pick-up will enjoy this track immensely whilst the hardcore will appreciate it for what it is – myself, I love it!

Judas
It is very difficult to define this track such are the complexities. It is driven again by the rhythm section with an amazing subtle and funky drum line, save the bass track (which I note includes so beautiful slide bass work – hats off to Mr Jones!) and more genius from Mr McCabe. The guitar track itself builds from a subtle, gentle riff to a powerful overdriven guitar solo. Richard’s vocals really show themselves to their full. Falsetto, subtle, hard – it has every element you could wish for. Sit back and relax whilst listening to this one – close your eyes and by the end you’ll be floating on a bed of musical luxury.

Numbness
The perfect come down after ‘Noise Epic’ (see later...come back after listening to it). This has a strong element of Richard’s songwriting throughout. It is a slow, funk driven tune with beautiful ‘lazy days’ vocal line. Musically again it is unparalleled, creating a perfect ambience. One to kick back and relax to whilst listening to a tune of magnificence that will relax the most stressed of us. A word of note – it has been likened to ‘Dark Side of the Moon-era Pink Floyd’. Rubbish – this is straight out of the top drawer of The Verve’s musical sock drawer!

I See Houses
Having heard a bad bootleg of this track I was sceptical as to whether or not I would like hearing this – however I need not have been sceptical. I See Houses, whilst more reminiscent of a solo Ashcroft track, has a broad stamp of Verve about it. Subtle strings help to build an almost ‘anthemic’ chorus and some beautiful piano work in the verses again shows the versatility of the work. If there was one criticism to be made of anything on the album it applies to this track – not hearing enough McCabe. It’s there, and when it breaks down it’s with glee that Nick’s swirling guitar is picked up – but for me, personally, I think of The Verve as being very much driven by the genius of Nick McCabe.

Noise Epic
I was going to write this at the end as this is the one that stands out for me. Don’t get me wrong, every single track on the album is fantastic, but Noise Epic is one that people will talk about more than any other. And why? It really is totally unique. Drums first – mad! Performed live I think Pete will need to be on a drip! He sets a fast paced groove that just carries on and on... Simon Jones’ bass work is outstanding, Richard’s vocals range from spoken verses to choruses belted out to completely ‘losing it’ a la ‘Come On’ style at the end. Yet again it is Nick McCabe and his guitar that leaves me breathless. It’s all there, hard and distorted power chords, screaming high notes with multiple effects, and a full on ‘freak out’ to close...my God, prepare the mosh pit!

Valium Skies
When The Verve next tour this is going to be one of those tracks that will have the lighters out but may also cause the odd emotional tear to pour. It’s a beautiful track, again with some beautiful effects (like the slight ‘backwards’ effect on Richard’s vocal line) and whilst the verses swoop and swirl around the chorus delivers anthemic undertones once more which will please the Urban Hymns pick-up. Layered vocals create a musical orgasm which I have felt many times with The Verve – in particular to Lucky Man – so Valium Skies gets the ultimate plaudit, as, for me, this was the greatest track from the fore-mentioned album.

Columbo
‘A Storm In Heaven’ brought about the best of The Verve’s reputation for writing psychedelic, shoe-gaze music with trance inducing bass lines and sounds from Nick’s guitar that you wouldn’t think possible. In Columbo we return to those hallucinogenic days with a track that defines The Verve perfectly. Lyrically it’s one of the strongest tracks on the album – lyrics describing ‘Pain – a bulletproof bathroom. Inside she’s fixing up’ shows Ashcroft’s songwriting genius at its best and once more we are witness to Nick McCabe’s power at making his guitar virtually sing. A dark, brooding bass line and Pete’s snare laden drum pattern create what is one of the album’s best tracks.

Appalachian Springs
The perfect ending to one of the best albums in a decade. Appalachian Springs is a sure-fire hit and will be welcomed by the full range of Verve fans. It features one of those choruses that will well emotion from the most hardened of us. Richard Ashcroft is the highlight of the track – the full range of his vocal ability being tested to the max. But do not be fooled into thinking it is all the track has – four men in perfect musical harmony, all at the top of their game, creating a masterpiece. Others have enthused – many more will after hearing this work.

The album is released in the UK on 25th August and 26th August in the US. I can say no more than this; if there is one album that should be bought this year it is Forth. To not have it in your music collection would be like Britney Spears getting custody of her kids – a tragedy waiting to happen!
I would like to close by thanking Jazz Summers and all at Big Life for giving me the opportunity to review this amazing album. Finally, I would like to thank my girlfriend, Clare, for encouraging me to ask in the first place – you’re a true inspiration princess.

Post subject: Re: FORTH - THEVERVEUNOFFICIAL.COM REVIEW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 pm 

Trish wrote:
The Verve – Forth

Valium Skies
Layered vocals create a musical orgasm which I have felt many times

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:10 pm 

McCabe has some lovely touches on that track. Sexy stuff.

There's something in Valium Skies... deep down underneath the dirge and the exceptionally shite lyrics, there's a Lucky Man II waiting to be born. Alas, like a lot of the album, it sounds hurried and slapped onto a CD before the band could digest what they'd produced.

Still maintain he was thinking along the right lines with Valium Skies... if a euphoric Lucky Man type song is your thing... just turned out to be complete cack. McCabe's bits on it show how much of a facelift he can give Richard's tunes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 pm 
neo-con killer

Yeh, unbelievably bad lyrics, but some of Nicks guitar sounds pretty good on it.

hard to imagine who thought this should get on the album ahead of mohammed ali, all night long or blue pacific ocean .

In Si's defence i think most of us, but not all, were so excited about the new album it blurred our senses a bit .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:39 pm 

I still listen to Forth quite regular. I do find myself skipping the likes of I See Houses, Rather Be and Valium Skies, but All Night Long, Muhammed Ali and Blue Pacific Ocean make up for that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:04 pm 

Daniel wrote:
McCabe has some lovely touches on that track. Sexy stuff.

There's something in Valium Skies... deep down underneath the dirge and the exceptionally shite lyrics, there's a Lucky Man II waiting to be born. Alas, like a lot of the album, it sounds hurried and slapped onto a CD before the band could digest what they'd produced.

Still maintain he was thinking along the right lines with Valium Skies... if a euphoric Lucky Man type song is your thing... just turned out to be complete cack. McCabe's bits on it show how much of a facelift he can give Richard's tunes.

Hm, agreed that there's a nice tune at the bottom of it - a beautiful tune, even. But the music's shockingly overproduced and bloated, and as for the lyrics...best if I don't go there.

As for Si's review...

Numbness: The perfect come down...it is unparalleled, creating a perfect ambience. One to kick back and relax to whilst listening to a tune of magnificence...this is straight out of the top drawer of The Verve’s musical sock drawer

Valium Skies: It’s a beautiful track, again with some beautiful effects...a musical orgasm which I have felt many times with The Verve...Valium Skies gets the ultimate plaudit

Okay, I know we've all got our own unique personal tastes and we shouldn't criticise, but... :?

Spot on with Rather Be and Columbo though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 pm 

A-Fish-With_legs wrote:
Yeh, unbelievably bad lyrics, but some of Nicks guitar sounds pretty good on it.

hard to imagine who thought this should get on the album ahead of mohammed ali, all night long or blue pacific ocean .

In Si's defence i think most of us, but not all, were so excited about the new album it blurred our senses a bit .

Couldn't agree more. I was so excited to be around for the release of a Verve album that I couldn't be truly objective until months after.

I still listen to Forth, but it's the highlights - and the ones left off (Muhammad Ali, Blue Pacific Ocean, and All Night Long) that get repeated listens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:04 am 

I just read back what I wrote and cringed and Fishy's right - it was dead easy to get swept up in the joy of having a new album to listen to. An honest me, a year on, can say that the tracks that have left a mark in me are Love Is Noise, Columbo, Appalachian Springs and Noise Epic. The rest I can skip by happily, particularly Rather Be, although Judas is not the worst of the remaining.

So much more could have been done with this album to make it a classic, worthy of being talked about in the same breath as the other albums. Drop Rather Be for Blue Pacific Ocean, I See Houses for Muhammad Ali, Numbness for All Night Long.....you get the idea - but just by doing that you move from an album that would be the last in the collection to play to one that would make it difficult to ignore.

I think the saddest thing is that it was a bad one to finally go out on. The UH break up left everyone feeling cheated of a band dripping with genius; but no-one is asking where The Verve have gone now, such was the low impact of what could of been a great album. And I think we all know where it went wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 am 

Quote:
but no-one is asking where The Verve have gone now, such was the low impact of what could of been a great album.

Well, officially The Verve still exist - there's been no public split. The other day I looked at the Rather Be video and even now, people are still saying how glad they are to see The Verve back together. :roll:

Quote:
So much more could have been done with this album to make it a classic, worthy of being talked about in the same breath as the other albums. Drop Rather Be for Blue Pacific Ocean, I See Houses for Muhammad Ali, Numbness for All Night Long.....you get the idea - but just by doing that you move from an album that would be the last in the collection to play to one that would make it difficult to ignore.

Agreed, though I think Rather Be should stay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm 

A-Fish-With_legs wrote:

IMO Valium Skies is a brilliant song. I don't care that the refrain is often repeated. And "When it comes to my valium skies, she don't mind if I cry" . There's nothing to dislike.
And "She got all I need, the air I breathe" sounds a bit strange, but what do you expect from someone who speaks about "Valium Skies"? There are so many feelings that exist, so the lyrics are no problem for me at all.

By the way Forth is a fantastic album.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:17 pm 

SimonR wrote:
such was the low impact of what could of been a great album. And I think we all know where it went wrong...

Well do we? It sounds like a rushed album with poor song choices and it did when I first listened to it. That's where I think it went wrong.

The overall output was very good and the band did their part. Either someone in a bureaucratical position made them rush it, insisted a few more Ashcroft songs made the cut at the expense of a few others or the band just didn't nurture the songs or digest what they had produced enough. But who knows where it went wrong. I didn't like the production either. Far too clean sounding.

The album should have looked like:

Sit And Wonder
Love Is Noise
Mover
Judas
Rather Be
Ma Ma Soul
Major Force
All Night Long
Muhammed Ali
Blue Pacific Ocean
Colombo
Applachian Springs

And that is an excellent album. I think an opening of Sit And Wonder, Love Is Noise and Mover is superb. That is 6 songs from the Forth recordings that weren't on the record that I've included. And I genuinely believe, like most of us, that they should all be on there. What a shame they weren't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:24 pm 

Daniel if I had received that album at the time I wrote that review it would have gushed far more...on paper that would have been a world beater.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:35 pm 

Si, do you know if they recorded any other tunes during the album sessions that we havent yet heard?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:40 pm 

I dunno how they fucked it up so much, but theres still a classic album there if you re arange and cut

I agree with the idea of having mover at track 3, it works well, I dont think the recording is everything it could have been though....

just listening to major force just now, what a tune man, like brianstorm interlude evolved into 2008, its awesome

I like love is noise, but I wish MGMT or someone had released it, as I like the original style of verve music

Sit and Wonder
Mover
All Night Long
Rather Be(unheard psychedelic version)
Major Force
Ma Ma Soul
Judas
Blue Pacific Ocean
Muhamed ali
Columbo
Appalacian Springs
hidden track(Numbness)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:52 pm 

spencer wrote:
Si, do you know if they recorded any other tunes during the album sessions that we havent yet heard?

Oh hell yeah..there was over 50 hours worth of stuff!! I've heard bits and pieces but unless any of it gets, ahem, leaked I very much doubt it will ever see the light of day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:44 pm 

So fucking frustrating beyond words.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:56 pm 

SimonR wrote:

Oh hell yeah..there was over 50 hours worth of stuff!!

OoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 pm 
seanie boy

SimonR wrote:
spencer wrote:

Oh hell yeah..there was over 50 hours worth of stuff!!

I'd trade the lot for 10 mins of the Black Ships wigging out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00 pm 

I remember Mona Lisa was mentioned as an album contender, NME seemed to have heard it...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:33 am 

Someone help me understand the notion that Mover should have been included on Forth. I just don't get it. We're talking about a tune from 15 years ago that was played a few times live, that the band obviously didn't think enough of to release even then, not even as a b-side. Don't get me wrong, I like it - a lot, just as I do another unreleased song from that era, Black and Blue. But even though they, for some reason, took the time to remix it, why would anyone think they would put it on their comeback record in 2008? If there was any reason to include it on Forth (a name that implies moving forward), then why not Change My Life, or Staring Stranger, or South Pacific, or Here She Comes?

BTW, for what it's worth, I like Rather Be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 am 

Rather Be's a great tune, though crap live

Totally off topic but had Stamped on non-stop for the last 24 hours. And made me think, in my dream world, the Black Ships stuff should sound like that.

Fuck female singers. They should drag RA into the studio and get him to ad-lib over a few tracks the way he does on Stamped. No fucking nonsense, just do it (tie him up if they have to!). 'cos, at the end of the day, he's still the best at what he does when its the Verve breaking loose and just going for it

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 am 

jes wrote:
at the end of the day, he's still the best at what he does when its the Verve breaking loose and just going for it

Tis true.
As for Forth.....Different sides fighting for different things..................Israel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 pm 
neo-con killer

Melodyshine wrote:
A-Fish-With_legs wrote:

IMO Valium Skies is a brilliant song. I don't care that the refrain is often repeated. And "When it comes to my valium skies, she don't mind if I cry" . There's nothing to dislike.
And "She got all I need, the air I breathe" sounds a bit strange, but what do you expect from someone who speaks about "Valium Skies"? There are so many feelings that exist, so the lyrics are no problem for me at all.

By the way Forth is a fantastic album.

Isn't there a "lyin, tryin, dyin" line in there though ? not since "table, able, stable" on Brave New World have we seen ashctoft plumb those lyrical depths :mrgreen:

The album certainly has it's moments though, it's a shame they are too few and far between, there's too much guff on it .

Ashcroft should have kept Vallium skies for his solo album, and I see Houses, drop those two for all night long and Mohammed ali or Blue pacific ocean and it would have been a lot better .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:34 pm 

gravybrain wrote:
jes wrote:
at the end of the day, he's still the best at what he does when its the Verve breaking loose and just going for it

Tis true.
As for Forth.....Different sides fighting for different things..................Israel.

Seconded. Lots of opinions abound! Regardless, Forth gets a thumbs up in my book. "Judas" is one of the best songs Verve have done, and I remember the frenzy it received on this board. "Rather Be" is an all around positive and uplifting song. I'm glad it made the album, for Forth has some dark moments indeed, but at the same time, had it made an Ashcroft album, it probably would have received more attention.

"Valium Skies" is one of my favorites off the album. I love the part with the guitar solo. The whole song has that whole 'flying in the sky' sort of feel. Might be one of the reasons it made the album :thinks Forth artwork: . In general, Forth could have been added to, but nothing should be taken away from it.

Forth is great but it won't stand up in 10 years like Urban Hymns still does, but who's comparing? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:00 pm 

Nick said Forth had a cohesive sound about it when they played Coachella. As good as All Night Long, Major Force and Blue Pacific Ocean are I'm not convinced they fit with the overall ambience of the album. It's a surprise to me even that Columbo made it past being a B-Side. A song of that magnitude rarely ventures beyond a secondary track with The Verve.

From Sit and Wonder to Appalachian Springs, Forth does flow well. Some of what they included can be debated but from a cohesive standpoint it works. Standout tracks for me are still Sit and Wonder, Numbness and Columbo. Numbness takes a bucket full but Nick's solo is beautiful. It's sad they never came to play this one live.