verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Nicky Smith
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 am 

I know I will get blasted for this, but why not make the move to Nicky Smith as the new lead singer for Black Sub?

Post subject: Re: Nicky Smith
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:53 am 

verve1995 wrote:
I know I will get blasted for this, but why not make the move to Nicky Smith as the new lead singer for Black Sub?

Lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 am 

Honestly, he was probably my least favorite part of Exit Calm. I felt like he was always yelling at me like a nagging Bono or something. Too many repetitive and pseudo-Christian lyrics for me too. :twisted:

Wish him the best though. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:00 pm 

"a nagging Bono," nice. That's how I feel. That guy drove me nuts. The music was good, but I couldn't listen to them because of the singer. It sounded like he was trying to be something he wasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 am 

Tresilaze wrote:
"a nagging Bono," nice. That's how I feel. That guy drove me nuts. The music was good, but I couldn't listen to them because of the singer. It sounded like he was trying to be something he wasn't.

I got slagged off here big time for saying the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:08 am 
seanie boy

rolling person wrote:
Tresilaze wrote:

No you didn't. Your judgement was questioned for repeatedly claiming that NS 'couldn't sing', not for comparing him to one of the most succesful, and by many, admired, singers in recent history.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:47 pm 

sean wrote:
rolling person wrote:
Tresilaze wrote:

No you didn't. Your judgement was questioned for repeatedly claiming that NS 'couldn't sing', not for comparing him to one of the most succesful, and by many, admired, singers in recent history.

Not sure what you're saying there. Comparing who to what?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:00 pm 

verve1995 wrote:

I disagree... Amelia rocks

(plus I think it's pretty damn smart to have a female main singer - instantly lessens any Verve comparison and just gives a different vibe)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:54 am 

sean wrote:

Not to disrupt our long cold detente, Sean, but plenty of people were extensively insulted around here for offering constructive criticism of EC's work or really saying anything but that they were even better than the Verve. I am very sorry for the news -- I thought their second album made some promising changes even if it didn't quite capture the epic scope of the debut -- but wish all of them well and wonder if the rest of the band's excellent space noise might reach more ears with a different, subtler singer.

ANorthernSoul wrote:
Amelia rocks

(plus I think it's pretty damn smart to have a female main singer - instantly lessens any Verve comparison and just gives a different vibe)

Agreed. I was pretty skeptical of Amelia based on what we heard at first but in the end was very impressed. A male singer, as good as Charley Bickers is, would face impossible expectations and, totally separate from her chromosomes, Amelia's got a lot of heart and soul. A new reconstituted EC would be lucky to have her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 am 

rolling person wrote:
sean wrote:
rolling person wrote:

Not sure what you're saying there. Comparing who to what?

Ah...never mind. I get it now. Hadn't had my coffee yet when I read that. But I will say the hostility went a little beyond my judgement being questioned. In any case, I also am eager to hear what they sound like going forward. I always liked RM's guitar work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:18 am 
seanie boy

jadams503 wrote:
sean wrote:

Not to disrupt our long cold detente, Sean, but plenty of people were extensively insulted around here for offering constructive criticism of EC's work or really saying anything but that they were even better than the Verve. I am very sorry for the news -- I thought their second album made some promising changes even if it didn't quite capture the epic scope of the debut -- but wish all of them well and wonder if the rest of the band's excellent space noise might reach more ears with a different, subtler singer.

ANorthernSoul wrote:
Amelia rocks

Agreed. I was pretty skeptical of Amelia based on what we heard at first but in the end was very impressed. A male singer, as good as Charley Bickers is, would face impossible expectations and, totally separate from her chromosomes, Amelia's got a lot of heart and soul. A new reconstituted EC would be lucky to have her.

A B+ for UNOS you say? Forgive me if a never take your musical opinions seriously again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:29 am 

Amelia is an ok singer, its just that female singers personally don't do it for me for some reason. Of all the music I bought in my life, very rarely was it from an artist with a female singer.

When I first heard Exit Calm, ironically enough I thought Nicky's voice didnt match the music either. However, over time his voice really grew on me.

Post verve, EC was my favorite band. Now, just like the Verve, they are gone. Why can't these brit bands just get along......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:14 am 

[quote="sean"][quote="rolling person"][quote="Tresilaze"]"a nagging Bono," nice. That's how I feel. That guy drove me nuts. The music was good, but I couldn't listen to them because of the singer. It sounded like he was trying to be something he wasn't.

Ahh sean, so good to have you back around. :lol:

I made the mistake of doing Sunday Bloody Sunday at karaoke the other night. Was pretty rough ****.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:25 am 

[quote="Permanent Starlight"]I made the mistake of doing Sunday Bloody Sunday at karaoke the other night. Was pretty rough ****.

Did you do a "nagging Bono" rendition?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:58 pm 

[quote="rolling person"][quote="Permanent Starlight"]I made the mistake of doing Sunday Bloody Sunday at karaoke the other night. Was pretty rough ****.

Did you do a "nagging Bono" rendition?
More of a "just-woke-up-5-minutes-ago-Bono" rendition. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:32 pm 

Nicky Smith was by far the best thing about that band - great vocalist and frontman. I was always put off by their drummer having to use a click track live - struck me as the type that probably went to college to study drumming or something.

The problem with Exit Calm was they took too long to release their debut (which I thought was a bit weak overall and way too early Verve influenced), then too long to release a second album (which was by far a more solid album, if a bit Britpop). It's no wonder they were still regularly playing to barely anyone in small venues - on a poxy label and playing rather unfashionable music (regardless of how hard you try and push the psych label on them). They only attracted audiences in Manchester, London and Barnsley and even that was in really small venues. They were also surrounded by a gaggle of grade A fucking bellends (mostly Oasis fans, the wrong side of 35 and from Barnsley? lol) who thought they should to be massive, and how their guitarist was the best of his generation. As if.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:18 am 
seanie boy

graceadelica wrote:
They were also surrounded by a gaggle of grade A fucking bellends (mostly Oasis fans, the wrong side of 35 and from Barnsley? lol)

I noticed that as well mate. Outrageous. What on earth are those losers doing going to watch bands at that age? I have a sneaking suspicion they may also still be buying music.

But it gets worse. Lyndon Scarfe, one of the guilty culprits, is still making music :o

http://www.sicmagazine.net/8511/the-bla ... ack-lamps/

As is the chief down-the-front Exit Calm Rebel Rouser, Tony Wright:

http://louderthanwar.com/hurriers-acorn ... um-review/

Both are, wait for it…over 50! Get the police involved mate, for all our sakes.

PS On his Facebook page, Nicky Smith described their second album as 'dogshit' when compared to their first. He wants locking up as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:34 pm 

sean wrote:
PS On his Facebook page, Nicky Smith described their second album as 'dogshit' when compared to their first

when compared to their first, i don't have a problem with that ... it's substandard in comparison

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:18 am 
seanie boy

jes wrote:
sean wrote:
PS On his Facebook page, Nicky Smith described their second album as 'dogshit' when compared to their first

when compared to their first, i don't have a problem with that ... it's substandard in comparison

The second album in not as good as the first, and by some distance. But to call an album with Open Your Sky and The Rapture 'dogshit' is a tad harsh. He did, to be fair, delete the comment pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:46 am 

Like Jadams, I was impressed with the final product. In a second album, I'd bring Amelia to the fore. If Bickers is still around, a bit more of him too.

verve1995 wrote:
Amelia is an ok singer, its just that female singers personally don't do it for me for some reason. Of all the music I bought in my life, very rarely was it from an artist with a female singer.

What do you think of bands like Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, and Lush?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:35 pm 

sean wrote:
jes wrote:
sean wrote:

The second album in not as good as the first, and by some distance. But to call an album with Open Your Sky and The Rapture 'dogshit' is a tad harsh. He did, to be fair, delete the comment pretty quickly.

Not to mention Higher Bound. In another era that's a huge single.

I took Nicky Smith's comment as a doff of the cap to the first album's greatness rather than a criticism of the second album.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:54 am 

sean wrote:
jes wrote:
sean wrote:

Maybe he was posting drunk again.