verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: New Shores a flop?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 pm 

Did the band spend more producing the album than what they got in return?

They should kickstarter their next one.

Post subject: Re: New Shores a flop?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 pm 

I don't know about the band's finances, but the fact that Nick was putting his instruments on sale two months after the album's release doesn't quite scream 'best-seller'.

After all the anticipation, I find it strange how the album seems to have been forgotten almost two years later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:04 am 

I wouldn't consider it a flop by any stretch musically. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to sell to expectation. I wish they'd have toured it more. Granted, they had cancellations, and bad ones too. But after the Echo & the Bunnymen tour was canceled, that was it. Maybe more touring might have helped? It was brought up before about the possibility of Davide pulling some strings with Coldplay to get Chris Martin in for a guest vocal or something, to create a buzz and more promotion. This would've been neat. And imho, I would have looked forward to some Verve "covers" with Amelia on vocals. Make it til Monday springs to mind for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:57 pm 

See You In The Next One would be really good too. Man Called Sun...basically any chill Verve song.

The album seems to have flopped - there were hardly any reviews, and there was no buzz about it. I don't understand why they didn't tour though. It seems like they made it then expected it to fend for itself. New Shores is excellent, but it would have been so much better live. It's such a shame that the last two things McCabe and Jones have done haven't received the live promotion that they deserved. Hopefully they'll tour for the next one. The gigs would surely be great, and they'd get people talking. Especially with Richard dragging his acoustic around, boring everyone shitless with his mediocrity encased in a giant ego.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:30 pm 

WanderingSoul wrote:

After all the anticipation, I find it strange how the album seems to have been forgotten almost two years later.

What anticipation? The only people who knew or cared were on this forum pretty much. The guitarist and bassist and an unknown female singer wasn't going to attract the average Verve fan.

Beef Waggly wrote:
I wish they'd have toured it more. Granted, they had cancellations, and bad ones too.

They didn't tour it - at all. They did one gig in Bristol didn't they?

Announcing a debut tour for an unknown band with tickets at £20+ was always going to be empty venues or cancellations. Evidently the band were only willing to tour if they were making money, and that wasn't going to happen - so which numpty booked that?

How many copies of the album did they sell? Imagining way less that 1000 - bulk of sales presumably through Pledge. Where's the motivation to so a follow up? It took em long enough to release the debut album.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:41 pm 

Quote:
What anticipation? The only people who knew or cared were on this forum pretty much.

Well, I meant the anticipation on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 am 

In my opinion, Nick should have done/do what this man has done and been successful at: http://www.robinguthrie.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:12 pm 
seanie boy

Beef Waggly wrote:
In my opinion, Nick should have done/do what this man has done and been successful at: http://www.robinguthrie.com

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_f97BBQN8Y

;)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:50 am 

Black sub should be verve, sans Richard. They (Nick, Simon, Tong, Salisbury) have the best chemistry. A great front person would be icing on the cake.

In my opinion, Davide isn't a good choice (nothing against him). Amelia seems like she has great potential, but I'm not totally convinced.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:52 pm 

It's a shame Pete didn't join because of loyalty to Richard. He ought to have said "You're a grown up, Richard. Deal with it."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 pm 

Tresilaze wrote:
It's a shame Pete didn't join because of loyalty to Richard. He ought to have said "You're a grown up, Richard. Deal with it."

Dickie burned him badly though, cause Pete thought he'd recruit him again for the next solo record. That didn't happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm 

Alex wrote:
Tresilaze wrote:

Dickie burned him badly though, cause Pete thought he'd recruit him again for the next solo record. That didn't happen.

Then... why did Pete play with Ashcroft in 2012??

This is how they feel when hate it gets so real.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 pm 

Who knows? But Richard didn't use him for UNOS or the tour, and he's not on These People. He's been busy with the Charlatans, but surely he'd prefer to be with Black Sub or Ashcroft.