verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Ashcroft is on the new Liam Gallagher's album.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:17 pm 

Permanent Starlight wrote:
Tresilaze wrote:
the last beady eye record was miles better than any Richard Ashcroft album and Liam Gallagher has been a better songwriter since 2002. I don't know if he's improved more than Richard declined, but he's pretty good now and Richard...well, he's got a great voice. That's it. Watching him perform is painful and I will never hear anything from These People again.

Agreed, but I think we're ignoring the fact that Andy Bell was in this band. Naturally, I attribute the good songwriting to him.

The two best songs on that album were Soul Love and Start Anew, both written solely by LG.

The Andy Bell songs aren't that great. Kind of trying too hard to be The Who/rocker type songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29 pm 

mayfield2 wrote:
sean wrote:
graceadelica wrote:

And how is Noel Gallagher any more of a musician than Ashcroft? They're both fairly limited in their guitar skills.

One is much more limited that the other. By limited, I mean laughably play-in-a day limited.

Anyone who has ever picked up a guitar would know the difference between NG and Richard.

Go back and watch Champagne Supernova live in 1998 from the Be Here Now tour, it stretches out to about ten minutes, Noel in total control of the whole thing pushing the solo forward.

Richard learned the basis chords back in the mid-1990s, and hasn't progressed from there on. He is exactly as good as he was when he first learned the chords. Look at something like They don't Own me, three chords, round and round, it's begging for a change and he just plods on for 6 minutes.

Yup, RA's guitar playing is just bland and monotonous. He literally just strums the same 4 chords over and over. And as you said, his playing is no different now that when he first learned.

He doesn't play any notes while he strums, attempting to replicate other instruments from the song. A good acoustic track should be an attempt of a full rendition of the song, played on one instrument to the best of the player's ability.

Richard just lazily plays his guitar as if he would with a full band backing him, but they're not there and he doesn't do anything to fill that void to make the songs interesting in the slightest.

Last edited by Trippy on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50 pm 

Quote:
Would anyone like to link up RA doing anything remotely inereresting with a guitar?

I was very impressed with his guitar work during the jam section of Space and Time at Glasto, creating some nice sounds on his strat, from about 5.20.

Otherwise I agree about his unimaginative use of chords, but that's his style, it's all about the voice with him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:57 pm 
seanie boy

count_bearula wrote:
Quote:
Would anyone like to link up RA doing anything remotely inereresting with a guitar?

I was very impressed with his guitar work during the jam section of Space and Time at Glasto, creating some nice sounds on his strat, from about 5.20.

Otherwise I agree about his unimaginative use of chords, but that's his style, it's all about the voice with him.

:mrgreen:

He looks like a man who has picked up a guitar for the first time that very day. There is nothing impressive about that whatsoever. Other than his astonishing awkwardness.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:40 pm 

Go back and watch that version of Space and Time, and it's a good example of how bad he can actually be. He crashes in with the first chords, and the tone is just horrible. Fair enough, if its a new band or a **** venue, but he is playing a song from 15 years ago, he should be in full control of how he fits in. The difference in McCabe's sound as he comes in over the top of him is immence.

The 'jam section' part is fucking awful, pick out a note and buggering about with the tremelo, while he stares at ....what? What is he staring at?

McCabe is on fire though. Fair dues.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:18 am 

They both put out some great tunes and both oozed charisma. Both great in their time. No need to compare, this is music. I suppose you are all bored.

But, if we must compare I'd like to add some points.

Little James is one of the worst songs ever. So bad I laugh.
Rich has put out a few records chock full of worst songs ever.
They are both 40 something year old dads who are long past their primes.
Liam dresses like a clown these days.
Cuntsuit.

Looks like a tie to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:36 pm 

sean wrote:

He's poor live, but some of the studio work is impressive, most notably the riff from 'Check The Meaning'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 am 

In 2017, comparing these two as to who's the best?

This is THE archetypal, two bald men fighting over a comb.

Pointless and irrelevant.

Only relevant today to 16 year olds, clinging on to Brit Pop as some form of credible sub-culture, which it fucking wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:51 pm 

[quote="mayfield2"]Go back and watch that version of Space and Time, and it's a good example of how bad he can actually be. He crashes in with the first chords, and the tone is just horrible. Fair enough, if its a new band or a **** venue, but he is playing a song from 15 years ago, he should be in full control of how he fits in. The difference in McCabe's sound as he comes in over the top of him is immence.

The 'jam section' part is fucking awful, pick out a note and buggering about with the tremelo, while he stares at ....what? What is he staring at?

He's not Hendrix, dunno why he bothered.

Last edited by choonin_in on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:08 am 

Liam hasn't released a UNOS yet so therefore Liam > Richard

LIKE A BOSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm 

Alex wrote:
Liam hasn't released a UNOS yet so therefore Liam > Richard

Let's wait when Liam releases his 4th solo album to compare both.

This is how they feel when hat[/img]e it gets so real.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:55 pm 

We should be thanking Liam for showing restraint that he hasn't released a 4th solo album, let a lone his first

LIKE A BOSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:46 pm 

[quote="mayfield2"]Go back and watch that version of Space and Time, and it's a good example of how bad he can actually be. He crashes in with the first chords, and the tone is just horrible. Fair enough, if its a new band or a **** venue, but he is playing a song from 15 years ago, he should be in full control of how he fits in. The difference in McCabe's sound as he comes in over the top of him is immence.

McCabe is on fire though. Fair dues.

Seriously, Nick coming in at the start after Richard's awkward chords is like the fucking voice of god. Truly a man who has honed his tone since childhood.