verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Richard's competition as a Songwriter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:04 pm 

Damien Rice is another one. Definitely more credibility when you stand him against solo RA.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm 

choonin_in wrote:
Damien Rice is another one. Definitely more credibility when you stand him against solo RA.

Was going to add him but he's Oirish

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 pm 

Can't really get my head around him having "competition." He's released maybe 15 good songs as a solo artist (over five albums!) and the majority of the rest have been bad.

The only reason anyone listens to him is because he was in a great band and wrote some songs for them 20 years ago, but even those aren't as good as Weller, Noel Gallagher, Damon Albarn, Thom Yorke, or J Spaceman's songs. He's not even as good a songwriter as Graham Coxon (who's actually really good, I realize that reads as a dis. Just saying that Dicky would be the third best songwriter member of Blur, and the least creative member over all).

It's mind boggling that anyone aside from his children would consider him to be among the best songwriters around. Even at his best he was never among the best. Two great songs on A Norther Soul does not make a great songwriter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:44 pm 

Can't stand Damien Rice, way too pained and melodramatic. I have given him many chances and more than once walked out of a festival tent where he was playing.

Tresilaze wrote:
The only reason anyone listens to him is because he was in a great band and wrote some songs for them 20 years ago, but even those aren't as good as Weller, Noel Gallagher, Damon Albarn, Thom Yorke, or J Spaceman's songs.

RPA has written at least as many good songs in the last 20 years as Yorke or Spaceman, who are also best known for their pre-2000 work.

Tresilaze wrote:
Even at his best he was never among the best.

Blasphemy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:53 pm 

Are we specifically talking singer-songwriters? If so, in addition to those already mentioned, these are all active English songwriters leagues beyond Richard:

Thom Yorke
Phil Selway
Neil Halstead
Adam Franklin
Damon Albarn
Jimi Goodwin
PJ Harvey
Nick Cave (yes, he's Australian, but he's lived in England forever)

If we're speaking of songwriters in general, I'd add artists like Jonny Greenwood, Four Tet, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada (Scots), etc. etc. etc. etc.

Edit:
jadams503 wrote:
RPA has written at least as many good songs in the last 20 years as Yorke or Spaceman, who are also best known for their pre-2000 work.

You're either grossly-misinformed or straight-up trolling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:16 pm 

Permanent Starlight wrote:
Are we specifically talking singer-songwriters? If so, in addition to those already mentioned, these are all active English songwriters leagues beyond Richard:

Thom Yorke
Phil Selway
Neil Halstead
Adam Franklin
Damon Albarn
Jimi Goodwin
PJ Harvey

If we're speaking of songwriters in general, I'd add artists like Jonny Greenwood, Four Tet, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada (Scots), etc. etc. etc. etc.

Edit:
jadams503 wrote:

Love the fact that you point out that BOC are Scottish, as I'm guessing people assume they are Canadian.

Not sure that they qualify even as songwriters, let alone being great UK songwriters. What tracks are you think of that would be songs?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:14 am 

Songs in the ******** authentic sense that Ashcroft reduces songs to? Most of them. Even the purely electronic stuff on Tomorrow's Harvest would be better on piano and electric guitar than anything Ashcroft is credited as being the sole songwriter on. BoC are gods. RDJ is a genius composer. Had he been born 300 years earlier he'd have been Mozart's competition. Every piece of music is a song.

Forgot about Neil Halstead, that's criminal.

As for Ashcroft having as many good songs as Yorke or Spaceman over the last 20 years, it might be time to remind everyone that that time includes Ladies and Gents, OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac, making that the most insane thing ever written on this forum. The Eraser has more great songs than Ashcroft has released as a solo artist, and there are only nine tracks on that one.

The Verve are among the best ever, Ashcroft is a great singer but he's a **** musician and writer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:15 am 

Tresilaze wrote:
it might be time to remind everyone that that time includes Ladies and Gents, OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac, making that the most insane thing ever written on this forum.

Thought it would be clear, I meant anything released after 1997/Urban Hymns, so not including Ladies & Gents or OK Computer. Would not make that claim!

Nor would I claim that the Eraser is much more but a dystopian oddity fit to soundtrack a mediocre graphic novel. It was better than Atoms for Peace, but not much that's stick to the ribs memorable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:40 pm 

mayfield2 wrote:

Thom Yorke
Phil Selway
Neil Halstead
Adam Franklin
Damon Albarn
Jimi Goodwin
PJ Harvey

Edit:
jadams503 wrote:

Love the fact that you point out that BOC are Scottish, as I'm guessing people assume they are Canadian.

Not sure that they qualify even as songwriters, let alone being great UK songwriters. What tracks are you think of that would be songs?

They actually lived there for their formative years, like ages 10-13 and then moved back to Scotland. But the seeds of were planted by them watching old Canadian Public broadcasting, hence the name. I think Martin Carr ex of the Boo Radleys should be mentioned among the UK best song writers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3F1x-SnmgM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 pm 

[quote="Tresilaze"]Songs in the ******** authentic sense that Ashcroft reduces songs to? Most of them. Even the purely electronic stuff on Tomorrow's Harvest would be better on piano and electric guitar than anything Ashcroft is credited as being the sole songwriter on. BoC are gods. RDJ is a genius composer. Had he been born 300 years earlier he'd have been Mozart's competition. Every piece of music is a song.

Forgot about Neil Halstead, that's criminal.

As for Ashcroft having as many good songs as Yorke or Spaceman over the last 20 years, it might be time to remind everyone that that time includes Ladies and Gents, OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac, making that the most insane thing ever written on this forum. The Eraser has more great songs than Ashcroft has released as a solo artist, and there are only nine tracks on that one.

The Verve are among the best ever, Ashcroft is a great singer but he's a **** musician and writer.

Hahaha, there's apparently a good reason I've been listening to and enjoying your stuff on Bandcamp all morning...

[quote="jadams503"]Thought it would be clear, I meant anything released after 1997/Urban Hymns, so not including Ladies & Gents or OK Computer. Would not make that claim!

Nor would I claim that the Eraser is much more but a dystopian oddity fit to soundtrack a mediocre graphic novel. It was better than Atoms for Peace, but not much that's stick to the ribs memorable.
Not to belabor the point, but A Moon Shaped Pool alone, released less than a year ago, consists entirely of songs that are better than anything Ashcroft ever wrote on his own (no pun intended). This is all not even mentioning In Rainbows which is arguably the best Radiohead album of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:31 pm 

Fucking Gary Barlow has had a better output than RPA in recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:40 pm 

Daniel wrote:
Fucking Gary Barlow has had a better output than RPA in recent years.

I think Ashcroft could probably flog a few songs to GB and the like. Surprised he hasn't, actually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:10 am 

Not to belabor the point, but A Moon Shaped Pool alone, released less than a year ago, consists entirely of songs that are better than anything Ashcroft ever wrote on his own (no pun intended). This is all not even mentioning In Rainbows which is arguably the best Radiohead album of all time.

agreed 100% with all of this ... though A Moon Shaped Pool might even just edge In Rainbows

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:05 am 

Radiohead sucks. 8-)

Still like Kid A though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:44 am 

I haven't seen Tom Chaplin mentioned here. Frontman of Keane.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:49 pm 

Beef Waggly wrote:
I haven't seen Tom Chaplin mentioned here. Frontman of Keane.

Tim Rice-Oxley was the main man in Keane, writing wise.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:55 pm 

Didn't RPA have a pop at Keane when verve headlined Glastonbury?