verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Let's make an easy prediction: RPA's next album will be...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 am 

...his worst effort yet.

But just how bad will it be? jadams, thethirdreunion, BW?

LIKE A BOSS

Post subject: Re: Let's make an easy prediction: RPA's next album will be.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm 

I struggle to imagine what his worst album yet would even sound like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 pm 
seanie boy

I honestly thought he'd bottomed-out with UNOS.

Yet, these people was even worse. Far worse.

Can't wait for the next one tbh. I'm pretty sure it will contain a duet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:47 pm 

....an understated gem, with RPA having used the time since these people to hone his acoustic guitar skills, which, alongside his 50 year old growl, has helped him produce a stripped back, raw, bruising album of devastating beauty.

Or it'll be an overripe collection of staid ditties about life being hard and holding on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:13 pm 

I know that this is the thread number 897534289234234 created to attack and make fun of people who like Ashcroft's music and especially his last album but, anyway, I'd like to participe and give my own opinion.

First of all, I consider These People a good album. I love a lot of songs in it, mainly: This Is How It Feels, They Don't Own Me & Picture of You. But apart from this I have to say that I respect people who don't like it, that's fine, I don't care too much about it. In addition to this, I also think that a lot of people are using UNOS as a way to attack him exactly where it hurts. We all know that UNOS was the least successful album in his career, so I think that some people that don't like him and his music attack him saying things, such as: "It's even worse than UNOS", "it's far worse than UNOS", "UNOS was **** but this is even shitter", etc.,even though they know that is not true.

In my humble opinion, I think it's easy to see that These People is a better album than UNOS. I'm going to enumerate the reasons why I think like this.

- His most powerful weapon is his voice, and in his last album it sounds better that in UNOS. One of the reasons can be that during the proccess of recording that album he suffered from pneumonia (http://www.contactmusic.net/the-verve/news/ashcroft-caught-pneumonia-while-recording_1150632), which it affected quite much the quality of his voice.

- The lyrics are better in These People, IMHO.

Some of the worst lyrics in UNOS:

1. Are you ready?

I ain't Christian, oh I aint gay or straight

I wanna push you in my arms
And give you a love embrace

2. Born Again

I saw Venus up in the sky
I turned down my head and Serena smiled

"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection" --> Copy of the lyrics of a The Doors' song.

3. America.

are you tuning in? ---> Copy of the lyrics of his own song, "New York".

4. This Thing Called Life

Oh they’re out there in the matrix tonight

... the drugs don't really work... --> copy of his own song, The Drugs Don't Work

5. Beatitudes

This is the beatitude, this is the gospel truth

I’m like a fish with legs ---> Copy of the lyrics of his own song, "Check the Meaning".

6. Glory

Glory Hallelulah, I think I’m coming through yeah

7. Life Can Be So Beautiful

I’m taking my chips right now, now honey

Some of the worst lyrics in These People:

1. Hold On

I ain’t that superstitious
And life can be so vicious

2. These People

A soixante-neuf without the erotique?

3. Black Lines

Who put those black lines under your eyes?
Let me replace them with a smile

- UNOS lacks more originality 1/2: In UNOS there are 2 songs that are based on a sample of other tunes written by other artists.

1. Are you ready? --> Based on a sample of the Bee Gees' song called "On time".

2. Life Can Be So Beautiful --> Based on a sample of the David Axelrod's song called "The School Boy".

- UNOS lacks more originality 2/2: In UNOS there are 2 songs that are a copy of other tunes written by other artists.

1. The guitars in Royal Higness sound exactly as "Sweet Jane" by Velvet Underground.

2. In How Deep Is Your Man the guitars sound exactly like John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom".

To sum up. He sings better in These People. He wrote better lyrics in These People. He wrote better and more original songs in These People. And one more time I remark that... this is just my humble opinion.

On the other hand, and talking about the topic of this thread. I think he'll release a pretty good album, and I hope that the next time it'll sound more rocky, and we'll be able to hear him singing with other artists as well. Probably in his following record Liam will make a collaboration with him.

This is how they feel when hat[/img]e it gets so real.

Last edited by Thethirdreunion on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm 

Thethirdreunion wrote:
I know that this is the thread number 897534289234234 created to attack and make fun of people who like Ashcroft's music and especially his last album.

Yep, can't argue here.

The thread was an awful attempt at trolling.

The album came out, a small few liked it, the majority of us poked fun and had a good laugh at it, now let's leave it at that. Talk of his next album is fruitless given it's probably at the least 3 years away. When it's out, we can have another laugh. But other than that threads like these are just flogging a dead horse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:20 pm 

@T3R: Thanks so much for compiling those lyrics! It was my :lol: feel-good moment of the morning.

Trippy wrote:
The thread was an awful attempt at trolling.

What, an awful attempt at trolling? From Alex??? I'm shocked.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:41 pm 

RPA's next album will be...

... heard only perfunctorily by most on this board, having decided circa 2009 that RPA would never record anything good again, for further trolling fodder.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised if an acoustic-driven 'Richard Ashcroft Songbook' is on the cards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:42 am 

jadams503 wrote:
RPA's next album will be...

... heard only perfunctorily by most on this board, having decided circa 2009 that RPA would never record anything good again, for further trolling fodder.

I resent this to be honest. I'd love Richard to make good music, and god knows that I've given These People a fair chance. It's just not very good.

So, don't judge people on what you percieve to be a witch-hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:10 pm 

andropov wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if an acoustic-driven 'Richard Ashcroft Songbook' is on the cards.

I would like for him to go this route, with new songs, just a guitar or piano and vocal (think Brett Anderson's "Wilderness"). I don't see it happening, though, as the last record was pretty much polar opposite.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

mayfield2 wrote:
I resent this to be honest. I'd love Richard to make good music, and god knows that I've given These People a fair chance. It's just not very good.

So, don't judge people on what you percieve to be a witch-hunt.

Sorry dude, wasn't referring to you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:48 pm 

Trippy wrote:
flogging a dead horse.

An accurate description on RPA's solo career.

LIKE A BOSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 pm 

Seriously what gives anyone hope that RPA is going to come out with an album that might be considered mediocre on the level of HC or AWE? His last two albums are embarrassingly awful and the man lacks such self-awareness to even marginally improve. He says with a straight face he's one of the greatest living songwriters in the UK, come on.

He's going to cover his UH hits soon enough. Urban Hymns Naked without "the other three especially Nick".

LIKE A BOSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 pm 

[quote="Thethirdreunion"]
First of all, I consider These People a good album. I love a lot of songs in it, mainly: This Is How It Feels, They Don't Own Me & Picture of You. But apart from this I have to say that I respect people who don't like it, that's fine, I don't care too much about it. In addition to this, I also think that a lot of people are using UNOS as a way to attack him exactly where it hurts. We all know that UNOS was the least successful album in his career, so I think that some people that don't like him and his music attack him saying things, such as: "It's even worse than UNOS", "it's far worse than UNOS", "UNOS was **** but this is even shitter", etc.,even though they know that is not true.

UNOS is an album made by a man undergoing a severe identity crisis who was at rock bottom. Crossovers like that are rarely successful and RPA isn't gifted the way Prince was to pull it off. He wants to try his hand at the hip-hop thing only to fall flat backed by second-rate session musicians.

You know you verged on career suicide when you had fucking NME comparing that album to the worst from Des'ree.

So of course he waits 6 years to ride on that phony narrative of a comeback to drop another steaming uninspiring, insipid pile of ****.

RPA just ain't worth defending. I don't understand how anyone can find it listenable and I can listen to just about any garbage (well now except that gay Jagger/Bowie duet).

They Don't Own Me is about the closest he gets to something tuneful but its weighed down by hackneyed verses.

LIKE A BOSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:26 am 

If you don't like his music, don't listen to it. Simple as. Garbage thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:28 am 

[quote="Alex"][quote="Thethirdreunion"]

UNOS is an album made by a man undergoing a severe identity crisis who was at rock bottom. Crossovers like that are rarely successful and RPA isn't gifted the way Prince was to pull it off. He wants to try his hand at the hip-hop thing only to fall flat backed by second-rate session musicians.

You know you verged on career suicide when you had fucking NME comparing that album to the worst from Des'ree.

So of course he waits 6 years to ride on that phony narrative of a comeback to drop another steaming uninspiring, insipid pile of ****.

RPA just ain't worth defending. I don't understand how anyone can find it listenable and I can listen to just about any garbage (well now except that gay Jagger/Bowie duet).

They Don't Own Me is about the closest he gets to something tuneful but its weighed down by hackneyed verses.
I respect your opinion but you're extremely tiring.

This is how they feel when hat[/img]e it gets so real.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:56 am 

Beef Waggly wrote:
If you don't like his music, don't listen to it. Simple as. Garbage thread.

No one listens to it except fan boys living in 1997. Simple as.

This board has 3 or 4 Debbies, sometimes it's funny but largely sad. Grown men rocking out to second rate acoustic music that makes The Carpenters sound badass.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:05 am 

[quote="Thethirdreunion"]
I respect your opinion but you're extremely tiring.

The only thing that's tiring is hearing how much of an arrogant narcissistic buffoon RPA is about his new music while slagging off his former bandmates as if they did nothing for his success.

I relish in sadistic glee how awful his recent output is, who tries everything to prove he's the real creative genius, when only deep down he knows he ain't **** without the brilliance of the other 3. At least that is some compensation to the band after he talks **** about them and won't even bother returning their calls/texts. Lucky they aren't anywhere near UNOS or These People.

He reminds me a lot of the guy in my avatar. The false braggadocio, the passionate ignorance, and I'm sure whenever he reads a panning of his newest album calls them "fake reviews".

LIKE A BOSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:59 am 
neo-con killer

Unless he gives up a large portion of creative control then it will be 10 songs of mid paced forgettable pop music, drenched in strings, designed to be played on R2 and soccerAM for a few months and then disappear without trace.

I imagine even his most ardent fan is fairly apathetic about another RPA album at this point ? (although they'd never admit it)

an acoustic album of verse/chorus/verse/chorus, standard tuning, G/D/AM with repetitive lyrics over and over and over and over and over and over stretched out for 6 minutes a song doesn't really appeal to me these days.

this is just my opinion, no need to take it personally, but i don't think he has the talent to take his solo career in a new direction or any further, he needs to collaborate or join a new band, which he won't do because of his ego, so he's probably happy to just put out another plodding 10 songs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 pm 

[quote="Alex"]He reminds me a lot of the guy in my avatar. The false braggadocio, the passionate ignorance, and I'm sure whenever he reads a panning of his newest album calls them "fake reviews".

Speaking of, I might need to mute you again because I see that ******'s doughy, despicable face enough already on a day-to-day basis.