verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Pointless Urban Hymns Deluxe Box Speculation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 pm 

Joe Col wrote:
That's three more for a Forth expanded edition!!!!!

I couldn't really care either way. I doubt we'd get to hear any of that unreleased stuff, the precedent's been set.

Forth + B-Sides + Glastonbury Performance.

Meh. Already got 'em.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 pm 

Speaking for the minority who appreciate Richard's singer-songwriter side, the more solo-y tracks were also richer and more inspired than most of his solo material. Rather Be is one of his greats and it's a shame he doesn't play it today, even if it seems to come to the opposite conclusion as They Don't Own Me. Valium Skies is much maligned but his vocal layering as an instrument is gorgeous and Nick contributes some incredible textures too. I See Houses is not as strong but has a lot of good bits, parts of it almost seem like a sequel to Check The Meaning, and the band contribute some nice touches. And Appalachian Springs' virtues have been covered before.

Plus, Thaw Session, Judas, Numbness, Columbo, Noise Epic, Ma Ma Soul, Muhammad Ali, All Night Long, Blue Pacific Ocean all have some outstanding moments. Love Is Noise is not quite a classic but very catchy and well-done, as good a comeback single as any reunion act of their generation has managed, and they all sounded great.

It didn't all entirely come together, probably because of the strained relationships, but the production puts Nick and co much more at the forefront than Urban Hymns and I'm glad it happened. But after 9 years of acrimony and not rehearsing it's amazing how good they still sounded and how much potential was/is still there. Not to mention how good things like the Space & Time and Life's An Ocean outros were live.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 pm 

In fairness to blue vinyl, apart from being one funny contrary ************, he was talking about Forth the album as is.

If the tracklisting was something like this, I'd be more inclined to disagree with his comments (but it's not, so I won't):

Sit and Wonder
Mama Soul
Rather Be
Judas
All Night Long
Chic Dub
Muhammed Ali
Noise Epic
Columbo
Blue Pacific Ocean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 pm 

[quote="jadams503"]But after 9 years of acrimony and not rehearsing it's amazing how good they still sounded and how much potential was/is still there.

Yep, the only person who I thought was still trying to find his groove was RPA. There are some tracks from the Forth sessions where he is in perfect sync and harmony with the band (Judas, Ma Ma Soul) but other times it comes off as a bit awkward (Numbness, Sit and Wonder). There were moments like that live as well where he was trying to find his old self again.

I can't imagine what those RPA penned tracks, I See Houses, Rather Be, Appalachian Springs, etc. would have sounded like on a solo release. The band just makes his tunes that much better, but still the songwriting wasn't as good as on UH.

The worst Forth song to me is Love is Noise. I love the nod to History using William Blake again, but the U2-ness of that song does nothing for me. Some of the lines are embarrassing even if they have some mystical deeper meaning i.e. ********. ;)

Quote:
Not to mention how good things like the Space & Time and Life's An Ocean outros were live.

No kidding, **** was insanely good two of my favorite live tracks from the reunion. I'd take them live then than anything they did during the '90s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 pm 

[quote="choonin_in"]In fairness to blue vinyl, apart from being one funny contrary ************, he was talking about Forth the album as is.

If the tracklisting was something like this, I'd be more inclined to disagree with his comments (but it's not, so I won't):

Sit and Wonder
Mama Soul
Rather Be
Judas
All Night Long
Chic Dub
Muhammed Ali
Noise Epic
Columbo
Blue Pacific Ocean

Seriously Chic Dud instead of Appalachian Springs?

This is how they feel when hate it gets so real.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 pm 

Thethirdreunion wrote:
Seriously Chic Dud instead of Appalachian Springs?

Lol yeah that's nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 am 

I don't like AS.

Tbh, chic dub is only there to make it a 10 track album.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm 

[quote="jadams503"]Speaking for the minority who appreciate Richard's singer-songwriter side, the more solo-y tracks were also richer and more inspired than most of his solo material. Rather Be is one of his greats and it's a shame he doesn't play it today, even if it seems to come to the opposite conclusion as They Don't Own Me. Valium Skies is much maligned but his vocal layering as an instrument is gorgeous and Nick contributes some incredible textures too. I See Houses is not as strong but has a lot of good bits, parts of it almost seem like a sequel to Check The Meaning, and the band contribute some nice touches. And Appalachian Springs' virtues have been covered before.

Plus, Thaw Session, Judas, Numbness, Columbo, Noise Epic, Ma Ma Soul, Muhammad Ali, All Night Long, Blue Pacific Ocean all have some outstanding moments. Love Is Noise is not quite a classic but very catchy and well-done, as good a comeback single as any reunion act of their generation has managed, and they all sounded great.

It didn't all entirely come together, probably because of the strained relationships, but the production puts Nick and co much more at the forefront than Urban Hymns and I'm glad it happened. But after 9 years of acrimony and not rehearsing it's amazing how good they still sounded and how much potential was/is still there. Not to mention how good things like the Space & Time and Life's An Ocean outros were live.

Love is Noise is awful. It's a terribly contrived attempt at an anthem.

Pure ****.

If Hold On or Born Again were recorded by The Verve, they'd sound like Love Is Noise. In reverse, if Love Is Noise was on UNOS or These People, it'd be as laughably bad as the aforementioned songs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 pm 

[quote="Trippy"]
Love is Noise is awful. It's a terribly contrived attempt at an anthem.

Pure ****.

If Hold On or Born Again were recorded by The Verve, they'd sound like Love Is Noise. In reverse, if Love Is Noise was on UNOS or These People, it'd be as laughably bad as the aforementioned songs.

Completely agree. And those vocoder background noises are fucking awful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:41 pm 

^ thread well and truly derailed.

Love is Noise sounded pretty good at that Glasto gig tho.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:51 pm 

Yeah I'll give you that.

On UH boxset discussion, this is probably the one boxset I don't really care about unless there was a disc of unreleased tracks like what Nick posted on FB. The B-Sides were OK (I prefer Forth's), maybe if the complete Haigh Hall was on DVD. I dunno. Forth is more interesting just all the stuff that didn't get on the album and if the B-Sides are any indication there might be some really good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:22 pm 

seriously, Haigh Hall was a fucking dull Verve gig. I left disappointed, I understand why it was a crowning moment ... but , not my cuppa tea Vervewise.

gimme a soundboard of the original '97 comeback tour any day, even Glasto 2008 pisses all over it.

I wouldn't mind hearing UH remastered like the previous 2 tho.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 pm 

....and I maybe with as one of the few peeps here that thinks Forth era Verve genuinely more interesting than UH era Verve.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:02 pm 

spencer wrote:
seriously, Haigh Hall was a fucking dull Verve gig. I left disappointed, I understand why it was a crowning moment ... but , not my cuppa tea Vervewise.

gimme a soundboard of the original '97 comeback tour any day, even Glasto 2008 pisses all over it.

I wouldn't mind hearing UH remastered like the previous 2 tho.

Yeah but you know Haigh Hall will wind up being included just for how important a moment it was in the band's history. I agree they've performed better live elsewhere, and I'd prefer that over HH but that's probably not gonna happen. I haven't listened to HH in a long time but when I did I shared the same opinion that it was rather dull.

I don't see the point of remastering UH, if anything I fear there might be greater separation between vocals and instruments.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm 

I remember recording HH off of radio 1 live, and thinking it was amazing. Then I bought a bootleg tape from Camden Market and was blown away by how much better live they actually could be.

Who knows, maybe the live disc that Ashcroft is possibly proposing will be a compilation of their best UH era performances (wishful thinking). He could be vetoing the outtake CD because he just doesn't think those songs are good enough to release. Would be good to hear what he has to say about the situation. Doubt that will happen though, his fan interaction is pretty poor eh?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:02 pm 

count_bearula wrote:
He could be vetoing the outtake CD because he just doesn't think those songs are good enough to release.

'Hold On' on the other hand.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 pm 

Ashcroft is a revisionist, full of ****. Man, we all must know, surely, that the material that is (UH), McCabe orientated/heavily influenced, by way of anything that is not on UH, isn't gonna be sanctioned by Ashcroft because, in my opinion, it's superior quality? Ashcroft is a grade A *****, i want to HEAR the stuff that wasn't released and i guarantee, if it makes the light of day, it's McCabe blowing us all away. Make no mistake. By the way, that applies to Forth, some of the **** that Ashcroft decided was 'worthy', the guy is deluded. As many have said,
(again), there are several 'B' sides that **** all over the Ashcroft shite that took precedence. **** Ashcroft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 pm 

[quote="JayJaySea"]Ashcroft is a revisionist, full of ****. Man, we all must know, surely, that the material that is (UH), McCabe orientated/heavily influenced, by way of anything that is not on UH, isn't gonna be sanctioned by Ashcroft because, in my opinion, it's superior quality? Ashcroft is a grade A *****, i want to HEAR the stuff that wasn't released and i guarantee, if it makes the light of day, it's McCabe blowing us all away. Make no mistake. By the way, that applies to Forth, some of the **** that Ashcroft decided was 'worthy', the guy is deluded. As many have said,
(again), there are several 'B' sides that **** all over the Ashcroft shite that took precedence. **** Ashcroft.

We have a winner here.
Surely...doesn't end, honey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:16 am 

count_bearula wrote:
He could be vetoing the outtake CD because he just doesn't think those songs are good enough to release. Would be good to hear what he has to say about the situation. Doubt that will happen though, his fan interaction is pretty poor eh?

Or he was suspicious of the proposed tracklisting, argued over a writing credit to test other parties and it ended with dummies being spat out. The dummy wasn't Ashcroft's.

McCabe has his little fanclub on here who think the sun shine's out of his arse and is on the level. Fucking bollocks.

Anyway - why is anyone on here arsed? Most on here just listened to the new tracks from the first 2 sets on Spotify and moaned about them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am 

graceadelica wrote:

Or he was suspicious of the proposed tracklisting, argued over a writing credit to test other parties and it ended with dummies being spat out. The dummy wasn't Ashcroft's.

McCabe has his little fanclub on here who think the sun shine's out of his arse and is on the level. Fucking bollocks.

Anyway - why is anyone on here arsed? Most on here just listened to the new tracks from the first 2 sets on Spotify and moaned about them.

what is there to be suspicious about ? why spoil everyones fun ?

i dont think the sun shines out of McCabes arse at all, his post Verve output leaves me wanting but at least he's acted with some level of dignity, and we still get his thoughts on this old Verve business, i'd rather his legacy than the toss Ashcroft is peddling these days.

count me out of using spotify and moaning about the unreleased stuff too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:16 pm 

Anyone defending ashcroft, just remember one thing:-

He (noone else) is willfully obstructing you from hearing unreleased verve music.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 pm 

graceadelica wrote:
count_bearula wrote:
He could be vetoing the outtake CD because he just doesn't think those songs are good enough to release. Would be good to hear what he has to say about the situation. Doubt that will happen though, his fan interaction is pretty poor eh?

1. What would he be suspicious about? That doesn't make any sense.
2. Dummies that weren't Ashcroft's were spat out. What does that mean?
3. Everyone really liked the bonus tracks on the box set. I remember people gushing over the ANS demos.
4. How isn't McCabe on the level? He gives credit when it's due, worked on the first two reissues that Ashcroft ignored, talks to fans...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8