verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Out Of My Body EP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:02 pm 

What happened to the one that sounded like the Come Dine With Me theme? FFS, that was the only one I wanted to hear again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 pm 

Not one single new b-side. Lazy ******.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 pm 

[quote="choonin_in"]Not one single new b-side. Lazy ******.

Obviously because the songs he wrote during those sessions were such top quality he had to put them all on the album.

Seriously though, artists so rarely do (non-remix) b-sides anymore these days. I miss digging around for all those secret tracks.

I'm reminded of a beautiful tweet by Damon from Galaxie 500:
"music I've lost through streaming - sounds imagined through descriptions of records I couldn't find"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 am 

I miss digging around for obscure tracks (just got a Lucky Man CD in the mail that reminded me of the days when finding an import single could make my week) but you can't blame somebody for changing with the times.

In the early 90s everything was selling the physical product, and the cultish mystique of rare records for the real fans was something bands would cultivate even if mostly for the cred that cool people would supposedly want their esoteric product. Plus many of our heroes were youthful cokeheads up buzzing all night for weeks, assuming that their ability to effortlessly toss off megahits would live forever, so the potential gains in legend and reputation from burying great songs might have seemed worth it.

I was listening to Listen Up and some of the other early Oasis b-sides and a lot of those could have made singles and been better than almost anything they released after 1997, but instead they were burned off fast. A bunch of RPA's b-sides--Country Thing, Precious Stone, Leave Me High, The Miracle--are better than some of his later album tracks, but I guess he was trying to underline his credibility as a solo artist. There was still an argument for it 10 years ago but at this point he's better off saving stuff for albums people are likelier to notice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 pm 

I've occasionally made arguments in favour of Ashcrofts' B-sides (it's OK if none of you remember them. We've all got lives, I'll let you off).

In not spending too much time polishing/preening tracks, trying desperately to get them on the radio or Sky Sports, he was sometimes a little braver, did a bit more experimenting, often coming up with stuff that was better than half of the album. This was last true with 'screw me screw you'.

Not anymore though, now we just get umpteen pointless remixes of arguably the worst stuff he's ever produced.