verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Projected RPA Greatest Hits
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:59 am 

As mentioned in the other thread, RPA floated the idea of compiling "his" "greatest hits." Presuming he was limiting himself to one 79 minute disc, I assume it would have to include the following but likely not in this order:

On Your Own
History
Bitter Sweet Symphony
Sonnet
Drugs Don't Work
Lucky Man
A Song For The Lovers
Check The Meaning (perhaps an edited version from the full 8 minutes)
Science of Silence
Music Is Power
Break The Night With Colour
Are You Ready
This Is How It Feels
Hold On

These add up to 72 minutes of goodness, leaving room for one deeper cut or new single. If I had my druthers I'd replace Are You Ready with Rather Be, but I suspect RPA would want to downplay Forth as he's never played any of those songs again.

Maybe with some new edits or rerecordings he could fit 2 or 3 other tracks. If RPA is reading, go for it! I would buy the deluxe vinyl even though I already have all of it.

Post subject: Re: Projected RPA Greatest Hits
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:36 am 

The obvious criticism would be that the verve stuff outshines the non verve stuff. A tracklist like that would be all but admitting that his solo career is underwhelming.

I wouldn't put it past him to actually do this. Do you think he'd have to re-record BSS etc?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:10 pm 

I assume he'd have to re-record all the Verve stuff if he doesn't want to pay the rest of the band and Richards/Jagger royalties.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:50 pm 

On Your Own
History
Never Wanna See You Cry
Bitter Sweet Symphony
Sonnet
Lucky Man
Space and Time
The Drugs Don't Work
A Song For the Lovers
On a Beach
Brave New World
C'mon People (We're Making It Now)
Leave Me High
Check the Meaning
Science of Silence
Break the Night With Colour
Music Is Power
Keys To the World
Circles
Are You Ready?
Good Lovin'
Let My Soul Rest
This Is How It Feels
Ain't the Future So Bright
They Don't Own Me

This is how they feel when hate it gets so real.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 pm 

He's just trolling us. Even he knows that a solo "Greatest Hits" would be a complete and utter ****-take.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:41 pm 

It'll be a singles collection with 2 or 3 new tracks. I think there'd be a good chunk from his first 3 albums to flesh out a decent greatest hits of 10, 12 tracks, filled in with singles from UNOS & These People. Don't stack it chronologically, or that second half will be **** poor.
I don't see any Verve tracks on it. Why would they be, those are Verve songs.
Only way I see that happening is if he does a live greatest hits album, where it'd have live versions on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:59 pm 

[quote="Joe Col"]It'll be a singles collection with 2 or 3 new tracks. I think there'd be a good chunk from his first 3 albums to flesh out a decent greatest hits of 10, 12 tracks, filled in with singles from UNOS & These People. Don't stack it chronologically, or that second half will be **** poor.
I don't see any Verve tracks on it. Why would they be, those are Verve songs.
Only way I see that happening is if he does a live greatest hits album, where it'd have live versions on it.

Yuuuuuup spot on.

Honestly I could see him try to get songs from UH or ANS on it just to rewrite history (lol) but yeah its gonna be a singles collections and some new tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:43 am 

Apparently what was in the interview was "He's more interested in putting out his own collection of his best songs. Including History, On Your Own, all the classics that he wrote for UH, and the best songs from his solo career" so it would definitely include those songs even if they were rerecorded.

As much as I love the ANS On Your Own and History those songs have definitely picked up a different solo dimension in the last 20 years, rerecordings would be interesting. The Urban Hymns stuff though I think he'd have to use the originals, you need Nick's classy contributions and that crisp 90s sound that is still fresh and iconic.

RPA did an interesting promo around the time of Live 8 and Keys to the World called The Songs of Richard Ashcroft combining most of his Verve hits with a few solo cuts:

1. Lucky Man
2. A Song For Lovers
3. Bittersweet Symphony
4. On Your Own
5. Check The Meaning
6. Sonnet
7. The Drugs Don't Work
8. The Test (Chemical Brothers featuring Richard Ascroft)
9. Lonely Soul (UNKLE featuring Richard Ashcroft)

Not sequenced ideally or anywhere near complete, but a good sampler disc. What he was discussing seemed more like a souped-up version of this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:12 am 

jadams503 wrote:
Apparently what was in the interview was "He's more interested in putting out his own collection of his best songs. Including History, On Your Own, all the classics that he wrote for UH, and the best songs from his solo career" so it would definitely include those songs even if they were rerecorded.

As much as I love the ANS On Your Own and History those songs have definitely picked up a different solo dimension in the last 20 years, rerecordings would be interesting. The Urban Hymns stuff though I think he'd have to use the originals, you need Nick's classy contributions and that crisp 90s sound that is still fresh and iconic.

RPA did an interesting promo around the time of Live 8 and Keys to the World called The Songs of Richard Ashcroft combining most of his Verve hits with a few solo cuts:

1. Lucky Man
2. A Song For Lovers
3. Bittersweet Symphony
4. On Your Own
5. Check The Meaning
6. Sonnet
7. The Drugs Don't Work
8. The Test (Chemical Brothers featuring Richard Ascroft)
9. Lonely Soul (UNKLE featuring Richard Ashcroft)

Not sequenced ideally or anywhere near complete, but a good sampler disc. What he was discussing seemed more like a souped-up version of this.

He can't "claim" BSS, Sonnet, etc as his own songs, and then include The Test and Lonely Soul

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:21 pm 

I don't see how he can include History or On Your Own as his songs, they are credited to The Verve. I don't care how he'd like to rewrite the past.
Further, if he does rerecord or whatever, including Verve songs into any best of would be a mistake, in my opinion. I think it's way past time for him to put a line between his solo work and the band.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:39 pm 

Joe, can you explain whether the following would be appropriate in your view?

- Paul McCartney playing the Beatles song Let It Be
- Neil Young playing the CSNY song Helpless
- J Spaceman playing the Spacemen 3 song Take Me To The Other Side
- Noel Gallagher playing the Oasis song Don't Look Back In Anger
- Dave Matthews solo playing the Dave Matthews Band song Ants Marching

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:43 pm 

jadams503 wrote:

I think there is a difference to playing a song by your old band live, which he does ... a lot, and attempting to re-brand a song or songs by your old band, credited as being written by your old band, on a greatest hits package as a solo artist.
And just so we're clear, this is not just something I am against with Richard & The Verve. Mike Peters of The Alarm, whom I was a huge fan of in their early days, has taken to re-recording, arranging & re-issuing their back catalog, namely their first two albums. As how they were supposed to sound, according to him. On most of those songs, he is a co-writer, while some are band writes. I find it a huge slap in the face to the other members to do that, to take what they created together as if it was yours solely. I don't believe any of the artists above have taken a song by their old band & placed it on a solo best of or greatest hits package. McCartney possibly, though I have a best of of his, I think a 4CD set, and I'm fairly certain no Beatles tracks appear on it. And, if they did, I'd still think it was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:02 pm 

[quote="jadams503"]Joe, can you explain whether the following would be appropriate in your view?

Let's be honest, the criticism is that Ashcroft's only songs worth a **** are the ones he wrote whilst he was in a band. A band he dismisses and puts down at every opportunity. And the fact he has to herald those songs in every interview and plays most of them on every setlist he does, 20 years and 4 solo albums later highlights his shortcomings as a song writer. He isn't great, nowhere near it, yet he calls himself one of the greatest songwriters ever, it's laughable.

Add to that, his guitar playing is fucking shocking for a guy who has been playing as long as he has, he strums the same chords, in the same bland manner at every gig. He's got no variety what so ever.

Gallagher's last album is light years ahead of any of Dickie's and the said thing is, it's probably a 7/10 album at best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:45 am 

jadams503 wrote:

WTF has that got to do with the discussion? We're talking about whether RPA should include Verve songs on a RPA Greatest Hits album. Not whether or not he should play them live

And then he brings back the band for another new song that sounds more Andrew Lloyd Webber than titan of Britpop. It makes Ashcroft's farewell promise to return to our shores "soon" feel more like a threat than something to look forward to

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:26 pm 

no love for "Precious Stone" ?? "New York" ??