verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Ships (Nick and Si's New Band)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 am 

jadams503 wrote:
Lil ed wrote:
Heard the dumbest response to a person's first hearing tBS; "all they need now is a Richard Ashcroft singing on it". Idiot.

All they need now is Richard Ashcroft to sing on it... just like what Richard really needs on his solo stuff is for Verve to play on it.

FFS! NO! WAKE UP! MOVE ON!

those days are long gone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:19 pm 

jadams503 wrote:
Lil ed wrote:
Heard the dumbest response to a person's first hearing tBS; "all they need now is a Richard Ashcroft singing on it". Idiot.

All they need now is Richard Ashcroft to sing on it... just like what Richard really needs on his solo stuff is for Verve to play on it.

I'm more interested in hearing what other vocalists can add to their music. I'm especially intrigued by what that Amelia Tucker chick can provide, if they have other songs she features on.

What Richard needs is to write a decent song again. The tunes just aren't there for anyone to improve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:08 pm 

Joe Col wrote:
I'm more interested in hearing what other vocalists can add to their music. I'm especially intrigued by what that Amelia Tucker chick can provide, if they have other songs she features on.

What Richard needs is to write a decent song again. The tunes just aren't there for anyone to improve.

I hope Amelia Tucker does a good job. A lot of dark and brooding female singers swing too close to Evanescence for my liking, so I'm apprehensive, but will listen with an open mind -- hopefully sooner rather than later!

Richard wrote a number of, as my British friends might say, "proper choons" for the UNOS album and is usually good for an EP's worth every couple of years. I strongly agree that lyrics have been an issue lately, on Forth and particularly the UNOS record, but there's still a lot of potential that the right collaborators (cough cough) could help bring to fruition.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 pm 

jadams503 wrote:
Richard wrote a number of, as my British friends might say, "proper choons" for the UNOS album and is usually good for an EP's worth every couple of years.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm 

jadams503 wrote:
Richard wrote a number of, as my British friends might say, "proper choons" for the UNOS album and is usually good for an EP's worth every couple of years.

When does he plan on releasing the "proper choons" he wrote for that album?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:40 pm 

Joe Col wrote:
jadams503 wrote:

They've already been released. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 pm 

I might've listened to a a different album. :roll:

Surely...doesn't end, honey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 am 

Beef Waggly wrote:
Joe Col wrote:
jadams503 wrote:

They've already been released. :roll:

Haven't listened to the American release, so I haven't heard these new tracks you speak of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 am 

Twilight wrote:
I might've listened to a a different album. :roll:

Yeah, you must have been listening to Exit Calm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 am 

Well, call me crazy, but when I listen to the Black Ships, one thought that doesn't come to mind is "man, what this really needs is a washed up has-been straining to sing lyrics about how powerful music is or how much he loves his wife." When I listen to Forth-era Verve, I wish that the band had a different singer. And when I listen to RA solo albums, I don't want the Verve to be playing the backing tracks - I just want to listen to something else. Of course, there are exceptions - UNOS was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:18 am 

Roman Candle wrote:
UNOS was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time.

I notice how the American release of the album is set to coincide with Comic Relief 2011. Nice to see RPA getting into the spirit of things. Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:19 am 

[quote="Roman Candle"]Well, call me crazy, but when I listen to the Black Ships, one thought that doesn't come to mind is "man, what this really needs is a washed up has-been straining to sing lyrics about how powerful music is or how much he loves his wife." When I listen to Forth-era Verve, I wish that the band had a different singer. And when I listen to RA solo albums, I don't want the Verve to be playing the backing tracks - I just want to listen to something else. Of course, there are exceptions - UNOS was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time.

Based on your scrambled logic, I can safely assume everything from "Urban Hymns" is **** correct?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:39 am 

[quote="Beef Waggly"][quote="Roman Candle"]Well, call me crazy, but when I listen to the Black Ships, one thought that doesn't come to mind is "man, what this really needs is a washed up has-been straining to sing lyrics about how powerful music is or how much he loves his wife." When I listen to Forth-era Verve, I wish that the band had a different singer. And when I listen to RA solo albums, I don't want the Verve to be playing the backing tracks - I just want to listen to something else. Of course, there are exceptions - UNOS was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time.

Based on your scrambled logic, I can safely assume everything from "Urban Hymns" is **** correct?

Where is my logic scrambled, and when did I say everything from UH was ****?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 am 

[quote="Roman Candle"][quote="Beef Waggly"][quote="Roman Candle"]Well, call me crazy, but when I listen to the Black Ships, one thought that doesn't come to mind is "man, what this really needs is a washed up has-been straining to sing lyrics about how powerful music is or how much he loves his wife." When I listen to Forth-era Verve, I wish that the band had a different singer. And when I listen to RA solo albums, I don't want the Verve to be playing the backing tracks - I just want to listen to something else. Of course, there are exceptions - UNOS was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time.

Where is my logic scrambled, and when did I say everything from UH was ****?

so..UH was not **** to you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:33 am 

Roman Candle wrote:
Well, call me crazy, but when I listen to the Black Ships, one thought that doesn't come to mind is "man, what this really needs is a washed up has-been straining to sing lyrics about how powerful music is or how much he loves his wife." When I listen to Forth-era Verve, I wish that the band had a different singer. And when I listen to RA solo albums, I don't want the Verve to be playing the backing tracks - I just want to listen to something else. Of course, there are exceptions - UNOS was one of the greatest comedy albums of all time.

I didn't get any laughs out of it. Actually, listening to it was painful experience. :oops:

Surely...doesn't end, honey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 am 

UH was the album that introduced me to the Verve in '98. The Rolling People is one of my favorite songs of all time. The last 2 minutes or so are amazing - I love those two final snare hits. I also am quite fond of CTB, and yes, Sonnet (love Tong and McCabe's work on it. This was back when RA could still write and sing well). I also like TDDW - I don't care what anyone else says. I think Tong added a lot to this album that, quite frankly, was missed on Forth. He also added a lot to their live shows - I think he is underrated by fans. Come On is still good, but it could have been better. After many, many listens during the past 13 years, I've grown tired of BSS, SAT, WW, LM (I like the song mostly, and Tong's guitar parts are nice, but the Oh My My's annoy me), This Time, and VM. I don't really mind One Day - it's actually a nice song, and I like the guitar and organ parts.

Once I discovered ANS (found a used radio promotional copy by luck) I heard more songs that sounded like TRP, which was what interested me the most, although it took me a while to enjoy the album completely. I spent years trying to find the rest of their music - I would check every record store in town whenever possible. By the end of 98 I had the EP, which also took me a while to appreciate. Finally, probably during late 99, I found ASIH after relentlessly checking each record store in town in the hopes of finding it. I had looked at the lyrics on AJ Sharma's site so many times, wondering what it sounded like. By then I was a big fan, but the band was long gone. RA's solo albums disappointed me greatly - other than maybe ASFTL, there was nothing that came close to even the weakest moments on UH... and his subsequent albums only got worse.

Having heard RA's solo albums, I didn't get my hopes up for Forth. Other than SAW, I didn't like the album. But the Black Ships have my interest - and I have my hopes up for a great album.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 am 

Forth seems to catch a lot of **** on here... but the b-sides were bitchin'. Ma Ma Soul, Muhammad Ali, Blue Pacific Ocean, and even many tracks from the album (e.g. Judas, Columbo, etc.) are -- musically at least -- up there with the greats.

Anyway, back to TBS: I was thinking recently about how some of what we can hear on the video sounds like Nick's remix of "The People" by The Music. What a great recording! I hope we get some cuts on the TBS album that stretch on well past 6-7 minutes like that. I think Nick described it as "Funkadelic on mogadon" or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 pm 

This from Facebook:

Quote:
TBS would like to thank you all for your feedback! Is heartening to know that people out there care for what we are doing. Going through the long and winding road of doing things on our own is great because hopefully none of our music and art will be watered down by any external influence. If it's going to be bad, at l...east we will know it's our fault! Maybe it won't be so bad after all! ;) Love to you All xxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19 pm 

Still no news. RPA and the UNOS will have a follow up released before TBS get their debut out.
As Sean said, there's real time and verve related time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:38 pm 

TheWiganKebab wrote:
Still no news. RPA and the UNOS will have a follow up released before TBS get their debut out.
As Sean said, there's real time and verve related time.

I guess the phrase "strike while the iron is hot" does not apply to The Black Snails.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:33 am 

As long as they are doing it their way and aren't rushing themselves, I honestly don't care how long it takes just as long as this project doesn't get shelved.

Then I'll ask for blood.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 am 

Will we get a 2011 release or will it be 2012?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:01 pm 

The end of the video said 'Excerpts from The Black Ships's 2011 album'. Technically that could mean December.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 am 

Just in time for Christmas. It will make a lovely gift for that someone special.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:17 am 

Schumi wrote:
The end of the video said 'Excerpts from The Black Ships's 2011 album'. Technically that could mean December.

Technically the album could be titled "2011" too. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next