verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Ships (Nick and Si's New Band)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 am 

Spotted a comment on their Twitter page about the album. Release date looks to be early next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 pm 

Damn next year?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:11 am 

Well, while I'd prefer the album this year it's ultimately best that the band has the chance to hone the material to its finest form. Lord knows that the last couple of Ashcroft records (and Forth) could have used a bit more time in the oven.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:18 pm 

Baked **** is still baked ****

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:28 pm 

The John Martyn tribute CD's are released on 15th August with The Black Ships cover of Rope Soul'd included.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:48 pm 

Picked up a copy of the new music paper " Echo Magazine" this weekend. It's free, has a TBS interview in it and a large picture of the lads. Will try and scan/post if nothing appears soonish. September was mentioned as a cut off date for production.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:33 pm 

gravybrain wrote:
Picked up a copy of the new music paper " Echo Magazine" this weekend. It's free, has a TBS interview in it and a large picture of the lads. Will try and scan/post if nothing appears soonish. September was mentioned as a cut off date for production.

Brilliant will look forward to that mate. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:48 pm 

They really need to get the album out and do more gigs.
I know their intent is to do things as they want to at their own pace, but wetting the appetites with the EP back in May, the sole live gig in June, the interviews/reviews, Nick's appearance on the Twilight Singers disc ... they really should have struck while the iron was hot, so to speak.
If it were my band, with all the press & stuff that has already gone on, I'd shoot for an October/November release.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:34 am 

Joe Col wrote:
They really need to get the album out and do more gigs.
I know their intent is to do things as they want to at their own pace, but wetting the appetites with the EP back in May, the sole live gig in June, the interviews/reviews, Nick's appearance on the Twilight Singers disc ... they really should have struck while the iron was hot, so to speak.
If it were my band, with all the press & stuff that has already gone on, I'd shoot for an October/November release.

^this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:31 pm 
seanie boy

The fact of the matter is: other than then the bloke who is on the Coldplay payroll, it is impossible for the band to make a decent living from recording/playing music.

It's a sophisticated (yet irregular) hobby and sold be judged and considered as such.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:34 pm 

3 years since this thread was started and news of TBS broke.

Due a second gig soon surely?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 pm 

Daniel in 2010 wrote:
It will happen when it happens but that may not even be for a while. Spring 2011 would be a realistic guess for an album release I would have thought.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:08 pm 

Jesus :mrgreen:

Spring 2013 maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 pm 

Daniel wrote:
Jesus :mrgreen:

Spring 2013 maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:35 am 

[quote="Daniel"]3 years since this thread was started and news of TBS broke.

Haven't you heard, to hope for more than a gig and five songs in three years is to be a fussy, impatient, moaning *******.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:08 pm 

[quote="jadams503"][quote="Daniel"]3 years since this thread was started and news of TBS broke.

Haven't you heard, to hope for more than a gig and five songs in three years is to be a fussy, impatient, moaning *******.

It is all those things when people assume the band is defunct just on the basis that they haven't heard from them. Particularly when there is no evidence to support the assumption.

It wouldn't surprise me if some are secretly willing the band to fail along with Richard's solo music, with the real desire being for a Verve reunion x3. When it's Richard on his own people call up the lack of musicianship, when it's Black Submarine it's the lack of a lead singer and how they don't have direction without Richard at the helm.

The point those same people often fail to mention is that even with both elements together, The Verve still didn't work out. Glimpses of brilliance on the last reunion, then it descended into ****. As it would do if they reformed (again).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 pm 

Schumi wrote:
people assume the band is defunct just on the basis that they haven't heard from them. Particularly when there is no evidence to support the assumption.

It could just as easily be said that there is no evidence to support the opposite of that assumption.

Schumi wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if some are secretly willing the band to fail along with Richard's solo music, with the real desire being for a Verve reunion x3.

I don't think anyone cares either way, hence this place's lack of new posts.

Schumi wrote:
The point those same people often fail to mention is that even with both elements together, The Verve still didn't work out.

It did work - musically (at least to some extent). The problem was the members couldn't resolve their personal problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:59 am 

[quote="Schumi"]It is all those things when people assume the band is defunct just on the basis that they haven't heard from them. Particularly when there is no evidence to support the assumption.

When a band or project fizzles, it's not uncommon for it to just fade away without formal acknowledgment for a long time or at all. All of us probably remember those interviews with Si Jones in late 2008 and early 2009 when he was still talking about Verve going back on tour.

[quote="Schumi"]It wouldn't surprise me if some are secretly willing the band to fail along with Richard's solo music, with the real desire being for a Verve reunion x3. When it's Richard on his own people call up the lack of musicianship, when it's Black Submarine it's the lack of a lead singer and how they don't have direction without Richard at the helm.

I think pretty much everyone would be happy to hear more from Nick & Si, whether with TBS or Verve. I doubt anyone is rooting for them to fail. Are people's observations about the lack of musicianship in Ashcroft's solo career, and a dearth of releases from TBS, inaccurate?

[quote="Schumi"]The point those same people often fail to mention is that even with both elements together, The Verve still didn't work out. Glimpses of brilliance on the last reunion, then it descended into ****. As it would do if they reformed (again).

There were more than a few glimpses of brilliance in the reunion. I suspect there would have been more had they been able to work through their personal issues more.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:40 am 

[quote="Schumi"]It is all those things when people assume the band is defunct just on the basis that they haven't heard from them. Particularly when there is no evidence to support the assumption.
Is there anything to suggest otherwise?

[quote="Schumi"]It wouldn't surprise me if some are secretly willing the band to fail along with Richard's solo music, with the real desire being for a Verve reunion x3. When it's Richard on his own people call up the lack of musicianship, when it's Black Submarine it's the lack of a lead singer and how they don't have direction without Richard at the helm.Bottom line- No one here wants them to fail. We just wonder what the **** it takes to release something that was supposedly done in 2010.

[quote="Schumi"]The point those same people often fail to mention is that even with both elements together, The Verve still didn't work out. Glimpses of brilliance on the last reunion, then it descended into ****. As it would do if they reformed (again).The Verve worked. Unfortunately, the attitudes didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 am 

I really hope it is a success. I'll buy anything they release and I'll get myself to at least one gig when they start playing. Nick McCabe is my hero (sorry for the knickerwetting).

It's been a long time coming though and I'm more than happy to take the **** while I wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:15 pm 

[quote="Daniel"]I really hope it is a success. I'll buy anything they release and I'll get myself to at least one gig when they start playing. Nick McCabe is my hero (sorry for the knickerwetting).

It's been a long time coming though and I'm more than happy to take the **** while I wait.

You forgot to continue the trend and break up Schumi's post into 3 seperate quotes and hit each bullet point.
Sheesh, Daniel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 pm 

Beef Waggly wrote:
Schumi wrote:
It is all those things when people assume the band is defunct just on the basis that they haven't heard from them. Particularly when there is no evidence to support the assumption.
Is there anything to suggest otherwise?

Yes. Charley Bickers for one. He told me on his facebook page that the band have 16-18 songs and possibly enough for an instrumental album.

By the way, you'll be updating your timeline come September.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:16 am 

Schumi wrote:
Yes. Charley Bickers for one. He told me on his facebook page that the band have 16-18 songs and possibly enough for an instrumental album.

Oh yeah he'll be updating the timeline in September with a twitter comment from Rossi saying the album is coming out in Spring 2013 and they are heading back to the studio to work on 16-18 songs. Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 pm 

Alex wrote:
Schumi wrote:

Oh yeah he'll be updating the timeline in September with a twitter comment from Rossi saying the album is coming out in Spring 2013 and they are heading back to the studio to work on 16-18 songs. Image

It's more substantial than a stray twitter comment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 am 

Wilst looking at Nick's FB page I found this recent entry from one RPA;

"thanks for the add Nick ;) good luck with Black Submarine"

Good to see RA's being a good sport!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next