verveunofficial.freeforums.org

NORTHERN SOULS
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to verveunofficial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Where verve ever the greatest band in the world?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:10 pm 
seanie boy

If so, when?

Post subject: Re: Where verve ever the greatest band in the world?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:02 pm 

Good question.

The day Bittersweet Symphony was released, there was no band that had anything else out on a par with that track. The proof being it dwarfed everything that the Verve had done themselves prior to that day. So, for that day alone, yes, the Verve were the greatest band in the world.

Otherwise, there was always another band better than them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:17 pm 

From about '92 to '95, a good argument can be made. With Spiritualized being the main competition. As I get older, critical darlings like Radiohead don't appeal to me as much as they used to (and they certainly had yet to hit their peak in '95 anyway); and shoegaze icons like MBV seem overrated, especially considering That Album wasn't even that great anyway IMHO. On virtually all counts, early Verve slays both for me, not to mention more popular 90s icons like Nirvana and what have you.

The Verve remain underrated -- especially outside of the UK, and generally outside of BSS or to a lesser degree UH. They're mostly seen as a one-hit wonder in the States (which is of course ridiculous), and their pre-UH output is either ignored or dismissed as unrefined jamming that had yet to lead to the crystalline brilliance of RA's 1997 masterpiece or whatever. Thankfully this HAS improved a bit with the ASIH/ANS re-issues recently, but the general consensus seems unchanged.

What would be really nice is a re-issue of Voyager 1, which would cement once and for all, for a wider audience, Verve's status as true (one-time) masters of neo-psychedelia.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:32 pm 

I actually think Suede were a better band than the Verve for the 92-93 period.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:56 pm 

mayfield2 wrote:
I actually think Suede were a better band than the Verve for the 92-93 period.

I'm embarrassed to confess I never listened to much Suede. (Somewhat like the Verve, they seem to be much more popular in the UK than the US).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:17 am 

Where?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:28 am 

Whenever I listen to them, they are the greatest, they get me right in the heart, they always did since 92 when I bought all in the mind ...now I'm 41 they follow me everywhere , for me through some real dark times. I'm listening to (almost) nothing else at the mo; rejuvenation thanks to the boxes. So much promise ; seems like a daft thing to say considering their legacy but I would've like more Verve albums on my shelves .

Waffled a bit there pfffrrrrrt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:56 am 

Yes, but only 1990-95, 96-98, and 2007-08.

Few other bands have such taste, subtlety, and delicate interplay combined with so many classic songs. This American is, pardon my french, mad fer it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:18 pm 

whenever they're active they're the best live band in the world and A Northern Soul is the best album of 1995..but I think Smashing Pumpkins were the best band in the world in 95.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:29 pm 

An especially subjective question where the verve are concerned. For every one person that says yes, a hundred will call them nearly men.

Question for you, sean; looking back, were EC ever better than verve?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:41 pm 
seanie boy

choonin_in wrote:
An especially subjective question where the verve are concerned. For every one person that says yes, a hundred will call them nearly men.

Question for you, sean; looking back, were EC ever better than verve?

Good question: EC's debut is as good as ASIH and miles better than Forth. However ANS is far better than The future isn't what it used to be.

Both had genius guitar players and an ultra-solid rhythm section.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 pm 

sean wrote:
EC's debut is as good as ASIH and miles better than Forth. However ANS is far better than The future isn't what it used to be.

I'd agree with all that (tho I do love future...., if only because it was bookended by two of their finest tracks)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 pm 
seanie boy

choonin_in wrote:
sean wrote:
EC's debut is as good as ASIH and miles better than Forth. However ANS is far better than The future isn't what it used to be.

I'd agree with all that (tho I do love future...., if only because it was bookended by two of their finest tracks)

Completely agree with that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 am 

sean wrote:

Good question: EC's debut is as good as ASIH and miles better than Forth. However ANS is far better than The future isn't what it used to be.

Aside from the idea of Exit Calm EVER having come close to the Verve it terms of songs, albums, musicianship or live shows (or indeed fucking anything) being frankly laughable - I really have to take exception to that last claim, when the drummer often had to play to a fucking click track live.

One band built up a huge fanbase, with the singer fucking off to launch a pretty successfull solo career and the other by the end were playing to audiences of about 20 anywhere outside of Manchester, London or fucking Barnsley because their brand of sub-Verve/Charlatans Britpop tarted up as "psychedelic rock" didn't really catch on. I bet you think that shite Manchester band Purple Heart Parade are going to be the next big thing too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:54 am 

Very difficult question to answer. I'd have to say 1997. Right place at the right time. Radiohead's OK Computer left me cold and still does. Spiritualized had a great album but UH had better songs (and was arguably the best album of the year). Richard, as both vocalist and songwriter, was at his pinnacle. My only criticism of UH is I felt the basslines weren't as memorable as they were on ASIH and ANS. Although that '97 Jools Holland rendition of Life's An Ocean has an unbelievably good bass from Si (and Nick's playing is ace).

If it wasn't for Oasis, I'd say '94 a close second.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:05 am 

I think it's unfair to criticize EC having a small fanbase. New bands like EC faced much different challenges (and perhaps harder) than Verve ever did. Sure I think Verve were that rare "supergroup" formed at the right time with the right people, but I think comparing the two is silly. They have their own distinct sounds. When I listen to EC, I don't really hear any Verve influences, perhaps more like U2. Rob is an incredibly gifted guitarist, maybe even better than Nick at his age! I know people detract Nicky Smith's vocals, and I was one of them initially, but he never sounded out of place. His melodies, hooks or whatever fit the songs. Sometimes he channels Bono but a lot of bands do. I don't have any opinions on the rhythm section.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:16 am 

Can anyone name a band that released three consecutive albums as good, or better, than ASIH/ANS/UH?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 am 
seanie boy

choonin_in wrote:
Can anyone name a band that released three consecutive albums as good, or better, than ASIH/ANS/UH?

David Bowie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 am 
seanie boy

graceadelica wrote:
sean wrote:

Aside from the idea of Exit Calm EVER having come close to the Verve it terms of songs, albums, musicianship or live shows (or indeed fucking anything) being frankly laughable - I really have to take exception to that last claim, when the drummer often had to play to a fucking click track live.

Proof re: the click track claim? I've seen them more times than you and that's news to me. Si Lindley was a better bass player than Si Jones.

Never heard of the purple heart parade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:24 pm 

It's absurd to talk about exit calm being even 1/100th as good as the Verve in any way. The musicianship is nowhere near as good or an incentive. Verve could do anything; their capabilities were boundless. They could write and play any kind of song, while Exit Calm are just some food influences wrapped around mediocre songwriting. More than anything else, the Verve were great songwriters. They're easily one of the best bands ever. It's just hilarious to me that they're being lowered to the level of insignificant, derivative, mediocre Exit Calm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:13 pm 

During the time period of the first two albums, best band ever. Absolutely, without question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:40 pm 

Come on, y'all know I going to make this post;

Black Crowes Lp's 2-4 are on par with Verve's. But live the Crowes would take them and I know bc I saw both bands at those times. 95 live Verve is sub par bc of all the **** going on. And I know most of you will roll eyes about TBC but the very band's board we are on were listening to Amorica, the 3rd Crowes album all during the making of ANS, so they were an influence on Verve, like it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 pm 

choonin_in wrote:

Besides the obvious, Stones, Beatles, Clash...

I know you said band but I'd say Joni Mitchell. Maybe Public Enemy.

Great consistency over consecutive albums is extremely hard. Usually one album by an artist is great or classic, but the others are a mix of mediocrity.

I agree with Sean, Berlin trilogy should be there. Or maybe he meant Hunky-Slane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:43 pm 
seanie boy

The Man Who Sold the World (1970)
Hunky Dory (1971)
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
Aladdin Sane (1973)
Pin Ups (1973)
Diamond Dogs (1974)
Young Americans (1975)
Station to Station (1976)
Low (1977)
"Heroes" (1977)
Lodger (1979)
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1980)

Take pin ups out and you have the greatest run of albums by anyone, ever. The only argument is which one is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:52 pm 

choonin_in wrote:

If we're including solo artists - Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde.